This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Flight Off-Surface Flow Visualization Using Infrared Imaging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A flight test investigation was conducted to evaluate an infrared (IR) imaging technique to visualize off-surface flow phenomena. A single-engine, general-aviation airplane was equipped with an IR imaging system that viewed the region around the left wingtip. Vortical flow at the wingtip was seeded with sulfur hexafluoride, a gas with strong infrared absorbing and emitting characteristics. Different terrain and sky backgrounds were evaluated for their effect on IR images of vortical flow. The best IR images were obtained with a clear sky background. The results of the investigation indicate that IR flow visualization compliments existing smoke generator methods for off-surface flow visualization.
CitationManuel, G., Daryabeigi, K., Alderfer, D., and Obara, C., "In-Flight Off-Surface Flow Visualization Using Infrared Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 911006, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911006.
- Campbell, James F. Chambers, Joseph R Rumsey Christopher L. Observations of Airplane Flow Fields Natural Condensation Effects January 1988
- Curry, Robert E. Richwine, David M. An Airborne System for Vortex Flow Visualization on the F-18 High-Alpha Research Vehicle September 1988
- Fisher, David F. Meyer, Robert R. Jr. Flow Visualization Techniques for Flight Research 1988
- Lamar, John E. Brown, Philip W. Bruce, Robert A. Pride, Joseph D. Jr. Smith, Ronald H. Johnson, Thomas D. Jr. Operational Performance of Vapor-Screen Systems for In-Flight Visualization of Leading-Edge Vortices on the F-106B Aircraft September 1987
- Brandon, Jay M. Manuel, Gregory S. Wright, Robert E. Holmes, Bruce J. In-Flight Flow Visualization using Infrared Imaging May 1988
- Bouchardy, A. M. Durand, G. Gauffre, G. Processing of Infrared Thermal Images for Aerodynamic Research April 1983
- Flaig, J.W. Infrared Flow Visualization For VTOL Applications Proceeding of AIAA/NASA V/STOL Conference 314 321 June 1977