This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of a Ceramic Particulate Trap on the Particulate and Vapor Phase Emissions of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust emissions were characterized from a Cummins LTA10 heavy-duty diesel engine operated at two EPA steady-state modes with and without an uncatalyzed Corning ceramic particulate trap. The regulated emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx), hydrocarbons (HC), and total particulate matter (TPM) and its components as well as the unregulated emissions of PAH, nitro-PAH, mutagenic activity and particle size distributions were measured. The consistently significant effects of the trap on regulated emissions included reductions of TPM and TPM-associated components. There were no changes in NOx and HC were reduced only at one operating condition. Particle size distribution measurements showed that nuclei-mode particles were formed downstream of the trap, which effectively removed accumulation-mode particles. All of the mutagenicity was direct-acting and the mutagenic activity of the XOC was approximately equivalent to that of the SOF without the trap. When the trap was used, the particle-associated mutagenicity decreased mainly due to the reduction in the concentration of particles. The trap XOC showed no mutagenic activity. There was some shifting of PAH into the vapor phase when particle emissions were reduced with the use of the trap. Under the test conditions chosen for this engine, the ceramic particulate trap reduced the concentration of emitted particles without increasing the levels of particle-associated mutagenicity, PAH or nitro-PAH.
CitationGratz, L., Bagley, S., King, K., Baumgard, K. et al., "The Effect of a Ceramic Particulate Trap on the Particulate and Vapor Phase Emissions of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 910609, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910609.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. 1989. Diesel and gasoline engine exhausts and some nitroarenes. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Volume 46. IARC, Lyon, France.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Code of Federal Regulations. Control of air pollution from new motor vehicles and new motor vehicle engines. Gaseous emissions and particulate emissions regulations. July 1, 1988: Part 86
- Morris HP, Dubnik CS, Johnson JM. 1950. Studies of the carcinogenic action in the rat of 2-nitro, 2-amino, 2-acetylamino and 2-diacetylamino fluorene after ingestion and after painting. Jour Nat Cancer Inst 10:1201-1213.
- Kaden DA, Hites RA, Thilly WG. 1979. Mutagenicity of soot and associated polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons to Salmonella typhimurium. Cancer Res 39:4152-4159.
- Probst GS, McMahon RE, Hill LE, Thompson CZ, Epp JK, Neal SB. 1981. chemically-induced unscheduled DNA synthesis in primary rat hepatocyte cultures: A comparison with bacterial mutagenicity using 218 compounds. Environ Mutagen 3:11-32.
- Barfknecht TR, Hites RA, Cavalieri EL, Thilly WG. 1982. Human cell mutagenicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon components of diesel emissions. pp 277-294. In: Toxicology Effects from Diesel Engines (Lewtas J., ed). New York. Elsevier Publishing Co.
- Pitts JN Jr, Lokensgard DM, Harger W, Fisher TS, Mejia V, Schuler JJ, Scorziell GM, Katzenstein YA. 1982. Mutagens in diesel exhaust particulate: identification and direct activities of 6-nitrobenzo[a]pyrene, 9-nitroanthracene, 1-nitropyrene, and 5H-phenanthro[4,5-bcd]pyran-5-one. Mutat Res 103:241-249.
- LaVoie EJ, Bedenko V, Tulley-Frieber L, Hoffman D. 1982. Tumor-initiating activity and metabolism activity and metabolism of polymethylated phenanthrenes. Cancer Res 42:4045-4049.
- El-Bayoumy K, Hecht SS, Hoffman D. 1982. Comparative tumor initiating activity on mouse skin of 6-nitrobenzo[a]pyrene, 6-nitro- chrysene, 3-nitroperylene, and their parent hydrocarbons. Cancer Lett 16:333-337.
- Amin S, Huie K, Hussain N, Balanikas G, Geddie JE, LaVoie EJ, Hecht SS. 1986. Synthesis of benzo[b]fluroanthene derivatives and their application in the research of the metabolic activity of benzo[b]fluroanthene. In: Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons (Cooke M, AJ Dennis, eds). Chem Charact Carcinog Int. Symp 9th (1984) Publ. 1986. Battelle Press, Columbus, OH.
- Wislocki PG, Bagan ES, Lu AYH, Dooley KL, Fu PP, Han-Hsu H, FA Beland, FF Kadlubar. 1986. Tumorigenicity of nitrated derivatives of pyrene, benz[a]anthracene, chrysene, and benzo[a]pyrene in the newborn mouse assay. Carcinogenesis 7:1317-1322.
- LaVoie EJ, Braley J, Rice JE, Rivenson A. 1987. Tumorigenic activity of non-alternate polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in newborn mice. Cancer Lett 34:15-20.
- Ishizaka Y, Ochiai M, Ohgaki H, Ishikawa F, Sato S, Miura Y, Nagao M, Sagimura T. 1987. Active H-ras and N-ras in rat fibro sarcarcomas inducecd by 1,6-dinotropyrene. Cancer Let 34:317-324.
- Otofuji T, Horikawa K, Maeda T, Sano N, Izumi K, Otsuka H. 1987. Tumorigenicity test of 1,3- and 1,8-dinitropyrene in BALB/c mice. Jour Nat Cancer Inst 79:185-188.
- Solt DB, Polverini PJ, Calderon L. 1988. Carcinogenic response of hamster buccal pouch epithelium to four polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Jour Oral Pathology 16(6): 294-302.
- Cavalieri E, Rogan E, Sinha D. 1988. Carcinogenicity of aromatic hydrocarbons directly applied to rat mammary gland. Jour Cancer Res Clin Oncol 114:3-9.
- El-Bayoumy K, Riverson A, Johnson B, DiBello J, Little P, Hecht SS. 1988. Comparative tumorigenicity of 1-nitropyrene, 1-nitrosopyrene, and 1-aminopyrene administered by gavage to Sprague-Dawley rats. Cancer Res 48: 4256-4260.
- Nakagawa R, Kitamori S, Horikawa K, Nakushima K, Tokiwa H. 1983. Identification of dinitropyrenes in diesel-exhaust particles. Their probable presence as the major mutagens. Mutat Res 124: 201-211.
- Paputa-Peck MC, Marano RS, Schuetzle D, Riley TL, Hampton CV, Prater TJ, Skewes LM, Jensen TE, Ruehle PH, Bosch LC, Duncan WP. 1983. Determination of nitrated polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in particulate extracts by capillary column gas chromatography with nitrogen selective detection. Anal Chem 55: 1946-1954.
- Smith LR. 1985. Study of the fuel composition and injection and combustion system type and adjustment on Ames bioassay, nitroaromatics, and PNA emissions from light-duty diesels. Project CAPE 33-83. Final Report. Southwest Research Institute.
- Draper WM. 1986. Quantitation of nitro- and dinitropolycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in diesel exhaust particulate matter. Chemosphere 15: 437-447.
- Dorie LD, Bagley ST, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. Identification of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in mutagenic subfractions of diesel exhaust modified by a ceramic particulate trap. Environ sci Technol 21: 757-765.
- Niles RN, Tan VL. 1989. Determination of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and mononitrated derivatives in air and diesel particulates. Analytica Chimica Acta 221: 53-63.
- Waldenmaier DA, Gratz LD, Bagley ST, Johnson JH, Leddy DG. 1990. The influence of sampling conditions on the repeatability of diesel particulate and vapor phase hydrocarbon and PAH measurements. SAE Paper 900642.
- Johnson JH. 1988. Automotive emissions. In: Air Pollution, the Automobile, and Public Health (Watson AY, Bates RR, Kennedy D, eds). National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Hales JM, May MP. 1988. Transient emissions reduction at Ricardo - 1988 and beyond. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 880456.
- Cornetti GM, Klein K, Frankle GJ, Stein HJ. 1988. US transient cycle versus ECIR 49 13-mode cycle. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 880715.
- Bagley ST, Gratz LD, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1990. Characterization of particle and vapor phase organic fraction emissions from a heavy-duty diesel engine equipped with a particle trap having regeneration controls. Final Research Report. Submitted to the Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA; December, 1990.
- Baumgard KJ, Bickel KC. 1987. Development and effectiveness of ceramic diesel particle filters. In: Proceedings of the Bureau of mine, Technology Transfer Seminar, Louisville, KY, April 21, 1987, and Denver, CO, April
- 1987 (compiled by staff). US Bureau of Mines, IC 9141.
- Carpenter K. 1978. The design and development of a dilution tunnel forthe physical and chemical characterization of diesel particulate matter. MS thesis, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Laymac TD. A Study of the Controlled regeneration process of a ceramic wall-flow particulate trap and its effects on the physical, chemical, and biological character of diesel exhaust. MS Thesis, Michigan Technological University, 1990.
- Laymac TD, Johnson JH, Bagley ST. 1991. The measurement and sampling of controlled regeneration emissions from a diesel wall-flow particulate trap. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 910606.
- Clerc JC, Johnson JH. 1982. A computer heat transfer and hydrocarbon adsorption model for predicting diesel particulate emissions in dilution tunnels. Society of Automotive Engineers Transactions 91: 3780-3810.
- MacCrehan WA, May WE, Yung SD, Benner BA Jr. 1988. Determination of nitro polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in air and diesel particulate matter by liquid chromatography with electrochemical and fluorescence detection. Anal Chem 60: 194-199.
- MacCrehan WA, Yang SD, Benner BA Jr. 1988. Catalytic oxygen scrubber for liquid chromatography. Anal. Chem. 60: 284-286.
- Kado NY, Langley D, Eisenstadt E. 1983. A simple modification of the Salmonella liquid-incubation assay - Increased sensitivity for detecting mutagens in human urine. Mutat Res 121: 25-132.
- Stoltz SL, Bagley ST. 1989. Analysis of diesel particulate matter and vapor phase samples using the micro-suspension assay. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 14 (Supplement 15): 15.
- Maron DM, Ames BN. 1983. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Mutat Res 113: 173-215.
- Hibbler FJ. 1982. Quantifications of Ames Salmonella/microsome assay system variables. MS Thesis, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI.
- Miller PR, Scholl J, Bagley S, Leddy D, Johnson JH. 1983. The effects of a porous ceramic particulate trap on the physical, chemical, and biological character of diesel particulate emissions. Society of Automotive Engineers Transactions 92: 287-315.
- Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. 1967. Statistical Methods, 6th ed. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1985. SAS User's Guide: Statistics, version 5. SAS Institute, Inc., Gary, NC.
- MacDonald, J. 1983. The effect of operating conditions on the effluent of a wall-flow monolith particulate trap. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 831711.
- Dolan DF, Kittleson DB. 1978. Diesel exhaust aerosol particle size distributions - Comparison of theory and experiment. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper NO. 780110.
- Wiczynski PD, Johnson JH. 1986. The effect of a ceramic trap on diesel particulate fractions. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 860620.
- Baumgard KJ, Kittleson DB. 1985. The influence of a ceramic particulate trap on the size distribution of diesel particles. Society of Automotive Engineers Transactions 95: 56-69.
- Bagley ST, Dorie LD, Leddy DG, Johnson JH. 1987. An investigation into the effect of a ceramic particle trap on the chemical mutagens in diesel exhaust. Research Report NO. 5. Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Konstandopoulos AG, Johnson JH. wall-flow diesel particulate filters - their pressure drop and collection efficiencies. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 890405.
- Lepperhoff G, Kroon G. 1985. Impact of particulate traps on the hydrocarbon fraction of diesel particles. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 850013.
- Ball JC, Greene B, Young WC, Richert JFO, Salmeen IT. 1990. S9-Activated Ames assays of diesel-particle extracts detecting indirect-acting mutagens in samples that are direct acting. Environ Sci Technol 24: 890-894.
- Claxton LD. 1983. Characterization of automotive emissions by bacterial mutagenesis bioassay: A review. Environ Mutagen 5: 609-631.
- Draper WM, Hartman H, Kittleson DB, Watts WF, Baumgard KJ. 1987. Impact of a ceramic trap and manganese fuel additive on the biological activity and chemical compositions of exhaust particles from diesel engines used in underground mines. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 871621.
- Mogan JP, Horton AJ, Vergeer HC, Westaway KC. 1986. A comparison of laboratory and underground mutagen levels for treated and untreated diesel exhaust. In: Heavy-duty Diesel Emission Control: A Review of Technology. (Mitchel, EW, ed). CIM Special Volume 36, The Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Quebec.
- Wall JC, Hoekman SK. 1984. Fuel composition effects on heavy-duty diesel particulate emissions. Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 841364.
- Hoekman SK, Ingham MC. 1987. Measurement of PAH and nitro-PAH form a heavy-duty diesel engine. Presented at the APCA 80th Annual Meeting. June 21-26, 1987, New York, NY.
- Schuetzle D, Perez JM. 1983. Factors influencing the emissions of nitrated-polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (nitro-PAH) from diesel engines. Jour Air Pollut Cont Assoc 33: 751-755.
- Schuetzle D, Frazier JA. 1986. Factors influencing the emission of vapor and particulate phase components from diesel engines. In: Carcinogenic and Mutagenic Effects of Diesel Engine Exhaust Ishinishi N, Koizumi A, McClellen RO, Stober W, eds, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Yamasaki H, Kuwata K, Miyamoto H. 1982. Effects of ambient temperature of aspects of airborne polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Environ Sci Technol 16:189-194.
- Schuetzle D. 1983. Sampling of vehicle emissions for chemical analysis and biological testing. Environ Health Perspec 47:65-80.
- Liberti A, Ciccioli P, Cecinato A, Brancaleoni E, DiPalo C. 1984. Determinations of nitrated-poly-aromatic hydrocarbons (nitro-PAHs) in environmental samples by high resolution chromatographic techniques. Jour High Res Chromatog Chromatog Commun 7:389-397.