This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Integrated Approach to the Simulation of Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper briefly traces the history of analytical methods as they have been applied to the subjects of vehicle crashworthiness and occupant protection. Recognising that several different types of analytical methods are currently being used simultaneously within most automotive design offices, it is suggested that the state of the art has now advanced to the point where one single, unified approach can be sensibly adopted. This argument is supported by examples drawn from several different real applications in which the finite element program, OASYS DYNA3D, has been shown to perform well.
|Technical Paper||Numerical Simulations for Testing of Commercial Vehicle as Per ECE-R29 Regulations|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Automotive Crash Recorder Design Development and Test Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Sophisticated Sam - A New Concept in Dummies|
CitationWalker, B. and Dallard, P., "An Integrated Approach to the Simulation of Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 910148, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910148.
- OASYS DYNA3D Version 5.0 User Manual 1991 OASYS Ltd 13 Fitzroy St., London W1P 6BQ, England
- Hallquist J.O. LS-DYNA3D 902 User Manual Livermore Software Technology Corporation 1990
- Tani, M Emori R.I. “A Study in Automobile Crashworthiness” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit 1970 SAE Paper 700175
- Kuang-Huei Lun “A Rear-End Barrier Impact Simulation Model for Unibody Passenger Cars” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit 1973
- Kueng-Huei Lin Kamal M.M. Justusson J.W. “Effect of Vehicle Mix in Two-Car Head-on Impact” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit 1975 SAE Paper 750117
- Leach J.H. Grew N.D. “Application of ADAMS to Vehicle Crash Simulation” Conference on “Better Bodies” Inst. of Mech. Engrs. London 1988
- McIvor I.K. Anderson W.J. “Dynamic Validation of a Computer Simulation for Vehicle Crush” Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Vehicle Structural Mechanics Detroit April 1977 SAE Paper 770591
- Tidbury G.H. Miles J.C. “Collapse Analysis of Automotive Structures using Finite Element Techniques” XVI FISITA Congress Tokyo 1976
- Miles J.C. “The Determination of Collapse Load and Energy Absorbing Properties of Thin-Walled Beam Structures using Matrix Methods of Analysis” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 18 1976
- Kecman, D. “Bending Collapse of Rectangular and Square Section Tubes Int. J. Mech. Sci 25 623 636
- Kecman, D. Todorovska-Azievska, L. “Multi-Axial Collapse of Rectangular Section Tubes and its Modelling in Finite Element Analysis 7th Int. Conf. on Vehicle Structural Mechanics Detroit 1988 SAE Paper 880896
- Miles J.C. Sturt R.M.V. Leach J.H. “Practical Tools for Vehicle Impact Simulation, Part 2: An Integrated Approach using OASYS DYNA3D” Proc. Inst. of mech. Engrs. 1991
- Hallquist, J.O.