This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sophisticated Sam - A New Concept in Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Initially, scientific investigators developed their own human simulators for use in adverse environment testing. This paper describes some of the history of the development of different types of human simulation techniques and their limitations. The increased necessity for more accurate simulations for automotive safety studies has created a need for additional sophistication.
Sophisticated Sam, created by Sierra Engineering Co. under the sponsorship of the General Motors Corp., represents a significant advance in the state-of-the-art. The rationale behind the creation of a working simulator is presented along with proposed performance criteria.
|Technical Paper||Validation of DyMESH for Vehicle vs Barrier Collisions|
|Technical Paper||An Overview of the Evolution of Computer Assisted Motor Vehicle Accident Reconstruction|
|Technical Paper||Yet Another Look At Crash Pulse Analysis|
CitationBloom, A., Cichowski, W., and Roberts, V., "Sophisticated Sam - A New Concept in Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 680031, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680031.
- Gurdjian E. S. Thomas L. M. Hodgson V. R. “Comparison of Species Response to Concussion.” Proc. 9th Stapp Conf. 1966 363 382
- Von Gierke H. E. “Biodynamic Response of the Human Body.” Appl. Mech. Rev. 17 12 1964 951 958
- Kornhauser M. Gold A. “Application of the Impact Sensitivity Method to Animate Structures.” 1962
- Ommaya A. K. Yarnell P. Hirsch A. E. Harris E. H. “Scaling of Experimental Data on Cerebral Concussion in Sub-Human Primates to Concussion Threshold for Man.” Proc. 11th Stapp Conf. 1967 47 52
- McElhaney J. H. Fogle J. Byars E. Weaver G. “Effect of Embalming on the Mechanical Properties of Beef Bone.” J. Appl. Physiol. 19 6 1964 1234 1236
- Roberts V. L. Lissner H. R. “A Correlation Between Cadaver and In Vivo Results.” Proc 8th Stapp Conf. 1966 134 146
- Lissner H. R. Roberts V. L. “Evaluation of Skeletal Impacts of Human Cadavers.” Studies on the Anatomy and Function of Bone and Joints Springer-Verlag 1967 113 120
- Latham F. “Linear Deceleration Studies and Human Tolerance.” 1957
- Zaborowski A. V. “Lateral Impact Studies (Lap Belt Shoulder Harness Investigations).” Proc. 9th Stapp Conf. 1966 99 128
- Messerer O. “Uber Elasticitat and Festigkeit der Menschilichen Knochen.” Stuttgart Verlag der J. G. Cotta’ schen Buchlanolung 1880
- Yamada H. Human Biomechanics
- Gadd C. W. Peterson F. J. Lange W. A. “Strength of Skin and Its Measurement.” ASME Paper No. 65-CA/HUF-8
- Patrick L. M. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes.” Proc 9th Stapp Conf. 1966 237 260
- Hodgson V. R. Lange W. A. Talwalicer R. K. “Injury to the Facial Bones.” Proc. 9th Stapp Conf. 1966 144 162