This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Comparison of Drum and Disc Brakes for Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An alternative to the current drum brakes, with the increased requirements of todays daily service are disc brakes, in that they offer, in contrast to the drum brakes, the following technical advantages and in turn enhance the active safety of modern commercial vehicles when braking:
Enhanced brake pedal-feedback and actuation
Little performance losses when high thermal loads occur (fading).
In order to be able to determine the improvement potential of disc brakes they will be compared to the commonly employed Simplex drum brakes. Both wheel brake systems (disc-/drum brakes and all variations) were tested on a computer controlled brake dynamometer and in field tests using a heavy duty commercial vehicle (class 8). The results are compared and conclusions drawn regarding “advantages/disadvantages”. These verification tests have also shown, that test results acquired with brake dynamometers coincide with field test results, when the test procedures on the brake dynamometer correspond exactly to the encountered field test conditions.
CitationGohring, E. and von Glasner, E., "Performance Comparison of Drum and Disc Brakes for Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 902206, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902206.
- Göhring, E. von Glasner, E.C. Improvement of the Braking Performance of Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicles by Using Disc Brakes International Conference on Disc Brakes for Commercial Vehicles IMechE London 1988
- von Glasner, E.C. Improvement of the Braking Behaviour of Commercial Vehicles Employing Disc Brakes DEKRA-Symposium Stuttgart 1988
- von Glasner, E.C. Simulation of Driving- and Braking Behaviour of Commercial Vehicles μ-Symposium of Textar Comp. Hockenheim 1982
- von Glasner, E.C. Integration of Test Stand Results into the Simulation of the Driving Behaviour of Commercial Vehicles Inaugural Dissertation University of Stuttgart 1987
- von Glasner, E.C. Martens, E. Quinger C. Drum Brake/Disc Brake JUMV-Symposium Belgrade 1989
- von Glasner, E.C. Martens, E. Quinger, C. Drum Brakes/Disc Brakes for Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicles - A Performance Comparison μ-Symposium of Textar Comp. Bad Neuenahr 1989