This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Compatibility of Air Disc Brakes and S-cam Brakes Installed on Combination Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The analysis for the braking behavior of the combination vehicle installed air disc brakes on the tractor and air drum (S-cam) brakes on the trailer will be discussed in this paper.
The behavior of the combination vehicle at curved road braking which affects vehicle motion strictly was analyzed and attempted to be improved through simulation calculations and vehicle running tests.
Consequently, the ways to optimize the compatibility for combination vehicles that combine a disc brake system on the tractor with various trailer using drum brake systems were obtained. Installation of disc brakes on the tractor alone was found to improve fade resistance and speed spread in combination vehicle.
CitationTanaka, S., Kubota, K., Iwasaki, T., and Hatanaka, H., "The Compatibility of Air Disc Brakes and S-cam Brakes Installed on Combination Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 902201, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902201.
- Petresh Randall P., “Rockwell Air Disc Brakes” SAE/SP-665 presented at SAE Truck & Bus meeting, Chicago Illinois Dec. 1985.
- Hanano M. Ned, “Air Disc Brake”, SAE/SP-516 presented at SAE Truck meeting, Dearborn, Michigan November, 1981.
- Gohring E., vom Glasner E C, “Contribution to the Improvement of the Braking and Handling Performance of Commercial Vehicles” FISITA 905039
- AOKI K., “Trend of Japanese Truck, Bus, and Trailer Brakes”SAE paper 781068 presented at Truck Meeting, Dearborn, Mich. December, 1978.
- Kubota K., “Why Air/Hydraulic Brake Systems on Japanese Straight Trucks?” SAE/SP-644 presented at SAE Truck & Bus meeting, Dearborn, Michigan Dec. 1984.
- Ryuko Fumiharu and Kubota Kazuhiko, “Truck Braking Standards and Regulations in Japan” SAE paper 890867
- Kageyama Ichiro, “On Stability of Articulated Vehicles at Braking”, JSAE Paper No. 42, 1989
- Shimojima Sigeaki et. al, “Computer Simulation of Vehicle Stability during Braking on Articulated Vehicles”, Hino Technical paper No. 36 July, 1987
- Itami Shuichi and Oda Masahiro, “Directional Stability of Tractor and Semi Trailer Combination in Braking”, JSAE paper No. 1974