This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Examination of the Combustion Processes of a Methane Fuelled Engine When Employing Plasma Jet Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Examination is made of the changes that take place in the major parameters of the combustion process and engine performance when using three different designs of plasma jet igniters of the open cavity type in a methane fuelled single cylinder engine. The characteristics of the combustion process were analysed employing a two-zone diagnostic model based on cylinder pressure-time development data.
The use of plasma jet igniters with methane as a fuel enhanced the rates of burning in the initial stages of combustion, especially with very lean mixtures. The lean limit of engine operation was also extended. Their use for near stoichiometric fast burning mixtures tends in comparison to contribute little towards enhancing engine performance.
CitationKarim, G., Al-Himyary, T., and Dale, J., "An Examination of the Combustion Processes of a Methane Fuelled Engine When Employing Plasma Jet Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 891639, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891639.
- Aiman W. R. “Extended Spark Duration Improves Engine Operation at High Exhaust Gas Recirculation Rates” Paper 76-32, presented at 1976 Fall Meeting. Western States Section, The Combustion Institute San Diego, CA October 1976
- Topham D. R. Smy P. R. Clements R. M. “An Investigation of a Coaxial Spark Igniter with Emphasis on its Practical Use” Combustion and Flame 25 2 187 196 1975
- Wyczalek F. A. Frank D. L. Neuman J. G. “Plasma Jet Ignition of Lean Mixtures” SAE Paper 750349 1975
- Asik J. R. Piatkowski P. Foucher M. J. Rado W. G. “Design of a Plasma Jet Ignition System for Automotive Application” SAE Paper 770355 1977
- Dale J. D. Smy P. R. Clements R. M. “The Effects of a Coaxial Spark Igniter on the Performance of and the Emissions from an Internal Combustion Engine” Combustion and Flame 31 2 173 185 1978
- Dale J. D. Oppenheim A. K. “Enhanced Ignition for I.C. Engines with Premixed Gases” SAE Paper 810146 1981
- Oppenheim A. K. Teichman K. Y. Hom K. Stewart H. “Jet Ignition of an Ultra-Lean Mixture” SAE Paper 780637
- Weinberg F. J. Hom K. Oppenheim A. K. Teichman K. “Ignition by Plasma Jet” Nature 272 5651 341 343 March 1978
- Cetegen B. Teichman K. Y. Weinberg F. J. Oppenheim A. K. “Performance of a Plasma Jet Igniter” SAE Paper 800042 1980
- Orrin J. E. Vince I. M. Weinberg F. J. “A Study of Plasma Jet Ignition Mechanisms” Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion 1755 1765 The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1981
- Carleton F. B. Vince I. M. Weinberg F. J. “Energy and Radical Losses from Plasma Jet Igniters to Solid Surfaces” Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1523 1531 1982
- Boston P. M. Bradley D. Lung F. K. K. Vince I. M. Weinberg F. J. “Flame Initiation in Lean, Quiescent and Turbulent Mixtures with Various Igniters” Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 141 150 1984
- Rao Mittinti D. M. Dabora E. K. “Plasma Jet Ignition” Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 169 178 1984
- Edwards C. F. Oppenheim A. K. Dale J. D. “A Comparative Study of Plasma Ignition Systems” SAE Paper 830479 1983
- Tozzi L. Dabora E. K. “Plasma Jet Ignition in a Lean-Burn CFR Engine” Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1467 1474 1982
- Kupe J. Wilhelmi H. Adams W. “Operational Characteristics of a Lean Burn SI Engine: Comparison Between Plasma-Jet and Conventional Ignition System” SAE Paper 870608 1987
- Pitt P. L. Clements R. M. “The Effects of Plasma Jet Ignition on a Methane Fuelled Internal Combustion Engine” Combustion Science and Technology 30 1983 327 333
- Al-Hinyary T. J. Karim G. A. “A Diagnostic Two-Zone Combustion Model for Spark-Ignition Engines Based on Pressure-Time Data” SAE Paper 880199 1988
- Al-Himyary T. J. Karim G. A. “A Correlation for the Burning Velocity of Methane-Air Mixtures at High Pressures and Temperatures” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 109 1987 439
- Al-Alousi Y. Karim G. A. “Some Considerations of Cyclic Variations in Spark Ignition Engines Fuelled with Gaseous Fuels” Proc. of the SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit 1984 840232
- Smy P. R. Santiago J. Way-Nee D. “Momentum Imparted by Plasma Igniters of the Surrounding Gas” Journal of Applied Physics 18 1985 827 833
- Smy P. R. Clements R. M. Dale J. D. Simeoni D. D. R. Topham “Efficiency and Erosion Characteristics of Plasma Jet Igniters” Journal of Applied Physics 16 1983 783 791
- Karim G. A. Al-Alousi Y. Anson W. “Consideration of Ignition Lag and Combustion Time in a Spark Ignition Engine Using a Data Acquisition System” Proc. of SAE Passenger Car Meeting Troy, Michigan 1982 820758