This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The behaviour of the tyre plays an important role in controlling the horizontal motion of the vehicle. In vehicle dynamics studies, a good representation of tyre behaviour is therefore a necessity. A series of tyre measurements have been carried out on the road in stationary conditions. The data obtained have been represented by mathematical expressions on the basis of a formula. The coefficients in the formula represent some of the typifying quantities of the tyre and the formula is capable of describing all characteristics of side force, brake force and self aligning torque with great accuracy. The behaviour of the tyre during combined cornering and braking has successfully been described by a model which makes use of the obtained mathematical expressions and some tyre-modelling theory. The side force characteristic governs the behaviour in lateral direction and the brake force characteristic in longitudinal direction. Thus, the non-isotropic properties of the tyre have been taken into account. Influences of ply steer, conicity, rolling resistance and camber are included as well. In this way a new and compact empirical model is obtained, enabling sensitivity studies to be performed. Vehicle dynamics studies have been carried out with the aid of simulations including the new model. This paper is a result of a joint project between Volvo Car Corporation, Sweden and the Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands.
CitationBakker, E., Pacejka, H., and Lidner, L., "A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies," SAE Technical Paper 890087, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890087.
- Weber R. Schlupf - und Führungskrafte an Reifen VDI Berichte 546, Fahrdynamik und Federingskomfort
- Schieschke R. RALPHS - ein effizientes Rechenmodell zur Ermittlung von Reifenkräften auf physikalischer Basis Automobil - Industrie 4 1986 459 462
- Allen R. W. Rosenthal T. J. Szostak H. T. Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling SAE Paper No. 870495 Feb. 1987
- Bakker E. Nyborg L. Pacejka H. B. Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies SAE Paper No. 870421 Feb. 1987
- Pacejka H. B. Modelling of the Tyre as a Vehicle Component with Applications Lehrgang V 2.01, Carl-Cranz-Gesellschaft 1982
- Pacejka H. B. Analysis of Tire Properties Chapter 9 in S. K. Clark: Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires, NHTSA DOT HS 805 952 Aug. 1981
- Lugner P. Lorenz R. Schindler E. The Connection of Theoretical Simulation and Experiments in Passenger Car Dynamics Proc. 8th IAVSD Symp. on the dynamics of vehicles Cambridge, Mass. August 15-19, 1983 Hedrick J. K. Swets & Zeitlinger B. V., Lisse Neth. 1984
- Jaksch F. O. Driver - Vehicle Interaction with Respect to Steering Controllability SAE Paper No. 790740 June 1979
- ISO/DIS 7401.2 Road vehicles - Lateral transient response test method
- ISO/TR 8725 Road vehicles - Transient open-loop response test method with one period of sinusoidal input