This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Joint Stiffness of Automotive Body
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An analysis of the static behavior of T-shaped joint is presented. Advanced testings by laser holography and infrared ray stress wave analyzers verified the surface deformation and the stress concentration of joint area, which are very important factors of thin-walled joint stiffness.
The definition of structural joint stiffness is attempted, and the relationship between structural joint stiffness and sizes(dimension) of the constructing members is obtained in case of a thin-walled T-shaped member with rectangular cross section.
The parametric study to accomplish weight reduction, while maintaining the necessary structural joint stiffness, is described in case of Rocker to Center pillar.
The numerical analysis of body structure considering the structural joint stiffness shows better accuracy as compared with the analysis with the joint assumed rigid.
CitationSakurai, T. and Kamada, Y., "Structural Joint Stiffness of Automotive Body," SAE Technical Paper 880550, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880550.
- Shigeta, Nakajima Tanabe “Analysis of Body Side-structure with Flexible Joint” Journal of JSAE 1. 20 2 1966
- Chan, D. C. “Effects of Flexible Connections on Body Structural Response” SAE 740041
- Rao, M.K. et al. “Automotive Body Joint Analysis for improved Vehicle Response” ISATA 1983
- Ida Matsuo “Stiffness Characteristics of Thin Walled Joint” JSAE 851 May 1985 851038
- Phan, Y. C. “Mechanics of Solid/Theory” Baihuukan
- Takahashi “Expression of Structures by Relative Stiffness and Saint Venant Principle” Papers of JSME 52-484 Dec. 1986
- Fujii, Sakurai et al. “Large Deformation Analysis of Autmotive” Journal of MHI 17 5 1980-9
- Sakurai “Trend of Light Weight Structure for Passenger Car” Journal of JSAE 41 1 1987
- Tanaka, Hamano Kamada “Low Shake Body Structure of Front Wheel Drive Car” Preprint of JSAE 862 1986