This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predictive Control Applied to Transient Engine Testbeds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Transient control of speed and torque on the testbed is becoming increasingly important for modern engine development. This paper describes the application of a modern control technique, Generalised Predictive Control (GPC) to this problem. By using system identification, coupled with the GPC design algorithm, the controller is automatically tuned by a computer. The best performance can then be obtained for each installation. The results presented show that, on a testbed with a standard eddy current dynamometer, tight control of transient speed and torque can be achieved using these techniques. This enables transient testing facilities to be made much more widely available.
CitationNoble, A., Beaumont, A., and Mercer, A., "Predictive Control Applied to Transient Engine Testbeds," SAE Technical Paper 880487, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880487.
- Clarke D.W. 1983 “PID Controllers and their Ccnputer Implementation” University of Oxford, Department of Engineering Science OUEL Report No. 1482/83
- Ziegler J.G. Nichols N.B. 1942 “Optimum Settings for Automatic Controllers” Trans. ASME 759 765
- Wellstead P.E. Zanker P.M. 1981 “Application of Self-Tuning to Engine Control” Harris C.J. Billings S.A. “Self-Tuning and Adaptive Control” IEE Publications
- Koustas J. Watson N. 1984 “A Transient Diesel Test Bed with Direct Digital Control” SAE 840347
- Clarke D.W. Tuffs P.S. Mohtadi C. 1984 “Self-Tuning Control of a Difficult Process” Proc. IEE Workshop on the Theory and Application of Self-Tuning and Adaptive Control Oxford
- Clarke D.W. Mohtadi C. Tuffs P.S. 1987 “Generalised Predictive Control, Part 1: The Basic Algorithm” Automatica Vol 23 No. 2 137 148
- Clarke D.W. Mohtadi C. Tuffs P.S. 1987 “Generalised Predictive Control, Part 2: Extensions and Interpretations” Autcmatica Vol 23 No. 2 149 160
- Norton J.P. 1986 “An Introduction to Identification” Academic Press
- Ljung L. 1985 “System Identification Toolbox for use with MATLAB, User's Guide” The MathWorks, Inc
- Ljung L. 1987 “System Identification, fheory for the User” Prentice-Hall
- De Keyser R.M.C. Van Cauwenberghe A.R. 1985 “Extended Prediction Self-Adaptive Control” Prcc. 7th IFAC/IPORS symposium York, UK Pergamon