This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multibody Dynamics Modeling and System Identification of a Quarter-Car Test Rig with McPherson Strut Suspension
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper addresses modeling and system identification of a McPherson strut quarter-car suspension. Constrained equations of motion in the Lagrange multiplier form are used to characterize the dynamic behavior of both a linear and a non-linear McPherson strut quarter-car suspension model. A Hilber-Hughes-Taylor integrator is used to simulate the suspension's response to a displacement input. The simulated response of both models is compared to the experimental response recorded from a quarter-car test rig equipped with a McPherson strut suspension, for system identification purposes. The performance of both models is discussed in the context of the basic linearity of the experimental suspension.
|Journal Article||Test Rig for Characterization of Automotive Suspension Systems|
|Technical Paper||Predictive Control Applied to Transient Engine Testbeds|
|Technical Paper||Development of Accelerated Corrosion Test Mode Considering Environmental Condition|
CitationAndersen, E., Sandu, C., and Southward, S., "Multibody Dynamics Modeling and System Identification of a Quarter-Car Test Rig with McPherson Strut Suspension," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4184, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4184.
- Haug E. J. Computer-Aided Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanical System volume 1: Basic methods Allyn and Bacon 1989
- Langdon J. D. “Design and Adaptive Control of a Lab-based, Tire-coupled, Quarter-car Suspension Test Rig for the Accurate Recreation of Vehicle Response” Mechanical Engineering M.S. Blacksburg Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 2007
- Johnson L. W. Riess R. D. Arnold J. T. Introduction To Linear Algebra Fifth Pearson Education Inc. 2002
- Negrut D. Ottarson G. Rampalli R. Sajdak A. “On an Implementation of the Hilber-Hughes-Taylor Method in the Context of Index 3 Differential-Algebraic Equations of Multibody,” Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics 2 73 85 2007
- Andersen E. R. “Multibody Dynamics Modeling and System Identification for a Quarter-Car Test Rig with McPherson Strut Suspension,” Mechanical Engineering M.S. Blacksburg Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 2007