This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Groundplane Boundary Layer Control on Automotive Testing in a wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two different techniques, ground plane suction and blowing, were used in order to decrease the displacement thickness of the floor boundary layer in wind tunnels upstream of full-scale vehicles.
A detailed description of both systems is given and comparison tests in three different wind tunnels were carried out.
The vehicles tested were full-size passenger cars and simplified-model cars of notch back, fast back and wagon back type, as well as sport cars and a racing car with different trim heights simulating different ground clearances.
CitationBerndtsson, A., Eckert, W., and Mercker, E., "The Effect of Groundplane Boundary Layer Control on Automotive Testing in a wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 880248, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880248.
- Schmidt: C. Air resistance of automotobiies Technical University of Stuttgart, VDI September 1938
- Hackett, J.E. Baker, J.B. Williams J.E. Wallis: S.B. On the influence of ground movement and wheel rotation in tests on modern car shapes SAE Paper 870245 February 1987
- Mason W.T. Sovran: G. Ground-plane effects on the aerodynamic characteristics of automobile models - An examination of wind tunnel test technique GM-Report 1378 April 1973
- Wiedeman: H.J. Grenzen und Mōglichkeiten innerhalb der KFZ-Aerodynamik Tagung T 30 905 0567 Aerodynamik des Kraftfahrzeugs Essen November 1987
- Beauvais, F.N. Tignor G.C. Turner: T.R. Problems of ground simulation in automotive aerodynamics SAE Paper 680121 1968
- Hucho, W.H Janssen L.J. Schwartz: A. The wind tunnel's ground plane boundary layer - Its interference with the flow underneath cars SAE Paper 750066 February 1975
- Buchheim R. et al.; Comparison tests between major European and North American automotive wind tunnels SAE Paper 830301 February 1983
- Costelli A. et al.: Correlation tests between four full-scale European wind tunnels and road SAE Paper 810187 February 1981
- Vagt J.D. Wolff: B. Das neue Messzentrum für Aerodynamik -Zwei neue Windkanäie bei Porsche Teil 1.: ATZ 89, Band 3, 1987, Teil 2.: ATZ 89, Band 4 1987
- Vagt J.D. Wolff: B. Special design features and their influences on flow quality: Test results from Porsche's new wind tunnel AutoTech 1987 London December 1987
- Nilsson L.U. Berndtsson: A. The new Volvo multi-purpose automotive wind tunnel SAE Paper 870249 February 1987
- Seidel: M. Construction 1976 - 1980 - Design, manufacturing, calibration of DNW 1982
- Mercker E. Betrachtungen und Dimensionierung eines Systems zur Grenzschichtbeeinflussung DNW Memorandum, PA-87.009 1987
- Thomas: F. Untersuchungen über die Grenzschicht an einer Wand stromabwärts von einem Ausblasespalt Abhandlungen der Braunschweigischen Wissenschaftlichen Gesellschaft Band 1S 1963
- Counihan: J. A method of simulating a neutral atmospheric boundary layer in a wind tunnel AGARD Conference Proceedings 48, Aerodynamics of atmospheric shear flows 1969