This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Further Evaluation of the Ground-Plane Suction Method for Ground Simulation in Automotive Wind Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For wind-tunnel measurements of drag and lift on passenger and racing-car models, correlations have been established between results obtained with a stationary ground-plane, with and without boundary-layer-suction, and a moving ground-plane.
Compared with the stationary-ground-plane results without suction, the application of suction caused significant reductions in lift. These reductions were smaller, though, than those obtained with the moving-ground-plane, particularly in the case of rear-axle lift force. The influence of ground-plane suction on drag was also less than that of the moving ground-plane, which induced small drag increases.
CitationCarr, G. and Eckert, W., "A Further Evaluation of the Ground-Plane Suction Method for Ground Simulation in Automotive Wind Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 940418, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940418.
- Mercker, E. et al. On the Aerodynamic Interference due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars SAE Paper 910311 Detroit 1991
- Berta, C. Full-Scale Moving Belt in Fiat Aerodynamic Wind Tunnel SAE Paper 905147 1990
- Wiedemann, J. et al. Audi Aero-Acoustic Wind Tunnel Proc. Royal Aero. Soc. Conference: Wind Tunnels and Wind Tunnel Techniques Southampton Sept. 1992 56.1 56.14
- Mercker, E. Knape, H.W. Ground Simulation with Moving Belt and Tangential Blowing for Full-Scale Automotive Testing in a Wind Tunnel SAE Paper 890367 Detroit 1989
- Hackett, J.E. Boles, R.A. Moving Ground Simulation by Tangential Blowing J. Aircraft 16 12 Dec. 1979
- Vagt, J.-D. Wolff, B. ATZ 89 1987 4 183 189
- Mercker, E. Wiedemann, J. Comparison of Different Ground Simulation Techniques for Use in Automotive Wind Tunnels SAE Paper 900321 Detroit 1990
- Carr, G.W. A Comparison of the Ground-Plane-Suction and Moving-Belt Ground-Representation Techniques SAE Paper 880249 Detroit 1988
- Eckert, W. Singer, N. Vagt, J.-D The Porsche Wind-Tunnel Floor-Boundary-Layer Control - A Comparison with Road Data and Results from Moving Belt SAE Paper 920346 Detroit 1992
- MIRA Aerodynamic Test Facilities: Users' Handbook Oct. 1993
- Vagt, J.-D. Wolff, B. ATZ 89 1987 3 121 129
- Eckert, W. Müller, R. Influence of Different Wind Tunnel Test Sections - Open Jet, Slotted Walls, Solid Walls - on Aerodynamic Test Results of Passenger Cars and a Racing Car Proc. 3rd. Int. Conf. : Innovation and Reliability in Automotive Design and Testing Florence April 1992 1567 1577