This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Computer Simulation of Driver/Vehicle Interaction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analysis of driver/vehicle performance over a range of maneuvering conditions including accident avoidance scenarios involving vehicle limit performance handling. Driver behavior is considered in the same dynamic analysis terms as vehicle response in order to give appropriate closed-loop measures of total system maneuvering capability and handling stability. A driver control structure is developed along with closed-loop system stability constraints on model parameters over a wide range of vehicle maneuvering conditions. Example simulation runs are presented for several accident avoidance scenarios.
CitationAllen, R., Szostak, H., and Rosenthal, T., "Analysis and Computer Simulation of Driver/Vehicle Interaction," SAE Technical Paper 871086, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871086.
- Donges, E., “A Two-Level Model of Driver Steering Behavior,” Human Factors, Vol. 20, No. 67, Dec. 1978, pp. 691-70.
- Reid, L. D., Solowka E. N., and Billing A. M., “A Systematic Study of Driver Steering Behavior,” Ergonomics, Vol. 24, No. 6, June 1981, pp. 447-462.
- Godthelp. H., “Vehicle Control During Curve Driving,” Human Factors, Vol 28, No. 2. Apr. 1986, pp. 211-222.
- Klein, R. H., McRuer D. T., Weir D. H., et al., Automobile Controllability Driver/Vehicle Response for Steering Control. Vol. I and II, NHTSA DOT HS-801 407 and NHTSA DOT HS-801 406, Feb. 1975.
- Allen, R. W., and McRuer D. T., “The Effect of Adverse Visibility on Driver Steering Performance in an Automobile Simulator,” 1977 SAE Trans. SAE Paper No. 770239, Mar. 1977, pp. 1081-1092.
- Blaauw, G. J. Godthelp H., and Mxlgram P., “Optimal Control Model Applications and Field Measurements with Respect to Car Driving,” Presented at the 3rd European Annual Conference on Human Decision Making and Manual Control, Roskilde, Denmark, June 1983.
- Reid, L. D., “A Survey of Recent Driver Steering Behavior Models Suited to Accident Studies,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 15, No. 1, 1983, pp. 23-40.
- Billing. A. M., “Modelling Driver Steering in Normal and Severe Manoeuvres,” Ch. 13 of “An Overview of Simulation in Highway Transportation, Part 2,” The Society for Computer Simulation Vol. 7, No. 2, Dec. 1977.
- Garrott, W. R., Wilson D. L., Scott R. A., “Closed-Loop Automobile Maneuvers Using Describing Function Models,” presented at the International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, Feb. 1982.
- McRuer, D. T., Allen R. W., Weir D. H., et al., “New Results in Driver Steering Control Models,” Human Factors Vol. 19, pp. 381-397.
- Crossman, E. R. F. Szostak W. H. T., Man-Machine Models for Car Steering, NASA SP-192, 1969, pp. 171-198.
- Weir, D. H., and McRuer D. T., “Dynamics of Driver/Vehicle Steering Control,” Automatica, Vol. 6, No. 1, Jan. 1970, pp. 87-98.
- Allen, R. W., “Stability and Performance Analysis of Automobile Driver Steering Control,” SAE Paper No. 820303, Feb. 1982.
- Allen, R. W., “Modeling Driver Steering Control Behavior,” 1982 IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics and Society, Seattle, WA, Oct. 1982.
- Allen, R. W. Szostak H. T., Rosenthal T. J., et al., “Test Methods and Computer Modeling for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 861115, Aug. 1986.
- Allen, R. W., Rosenthal T. J., and Szostak H. T., “Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 870495, Feb. 1987.
- Hegmon, R. R., “Tire-Pavement Interaction,” SAE Paper No. 870241, Feb. 1987.
- Allen, R. W., Hogue J. R., Parseghian Z., Manual Control of Unstable Systems, NASA CP-2428, May 1986, pp. 32.1-32.18.
- Gordon, D. A., “Perceptual Basis of Vehicular Guidance,” Public Roads, Vol. 34, No. 3. Aug. 1966, pp. 53-68.
- Mourant, R. R., and Rockwell T. H., “Mapping Eye-Movement Patterns to the Visual Scene in Driving: An Exploratory Study,” Human Factors, Vol. 12, No. 1, Feb. 1970, pp. 81-87.
- McRuer, D. T., Weir D. H.. Jex H. R., et al., “Measurement of Driver/Vehicle Multiloop Response Properties with a Single Disturbance Input,” IEEE Trans., Vol. SMC-5, No. 5. Sept. 1975, pp. 490-497.
- Weir, D. H., and DiMarco R. J., “Correlation and Evaluation of Driver/Vehicle Directional Handling Data,” SAE Paper No. 780010, March 1978.
- Fancer, P. S., Ervin R. D., Grote P., et al., Limit Handling Performance as Influenced by Degradation of Steering & Suspension Systems, Volume 1 of 2 Research Study, DOT-HS-031-1-126, UM-HSRI-PF-72-3-1, Nov. 1972.
- “Small Passenger Vehicles a Problem,” Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Vol. 22, No. 2, Feb. 1987.
- Jones, I. S., “Vehicle Stability Related to Frequency of Overturning for Different Models of Car,” Proc. of the Australian Road Research Board, Vol. 7, Part 5, 1974.