This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Behaviour During Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Data is first presented of how accurately a driver can judge his pedal effort, deceleration, speed, and distance from a stopping point. Typical braking behaviour obtained by drivers under controlled conditions is then described, both for car and commercial vehicle drivers and, based on this evidence, a mathematical model is presented for the driver in the braking situation. The simulation study based on that model is discussed with reference to comparative results obtained from road tests.
|Technical Paper||Phenomenological Traffic Simulation as a Basis for an RDE Development Methodology|
|Technical Paper||Analysis and Computer Simulation of Driver/Vehicle Interaction|
CitationNewcomb, T., "Driver Behaviour During Braking," SAE Technical Paper 810832, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810832.
- Spurr R. T. “Subjective Assessment of Brake Performance.” Auto.Engr. 1965 55 393
- Spurr R.T. “Subjective Aspects of Braking.” Auto.Engr. 1969 59 58
- Denton G.G. “A Subjective Scale of Speed When Driving a Motor.” Ergonomics 1966 9 3 203
- Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Aspects of Driver Behaviour During Braking.” XV Congress FISITA 1974
- Michaels R.M. Cozan L.W. “Perceptual and Field Factors Causing Lateral Displacement.” Highway Res. Board U.S.A., 42nd Annual Meeting 1963
- Spurr R.T. “Driver Behaviour During Braking.” Proc. Symp. on Psychological Aspects of Driver Behaviour Holland 1972 1 2
- Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “The Behaviour of Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers During Braking.” XVIII Congress FISITA 1980
- Lee A. “A Theory of Visual Control of Braking.” Perception 1976 5 437
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “A Simulation Study of the Behaviour of the Driver During Braking.” XVI Congress FISITA 1976 1 4
- McRuer D.T. Krendel E.S. “Mathematical Models of Human Pilot Behaviour.” Agardograph 1974 188 Jan. 45
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Simulation of Driver Behaviour During Braking.” Proc. I. Mech. E. Conference on Braking of Road Vehicles 1976 197
- Stapleford R..L. Peters R.A. Alex F.R. “Experiments and a Model for Pilot Dynamics With Visual and Motion Inputs.” NASA CR-1325 1969 May
- McCruer D.T. Magadleno P.E. Moore G.P. “A Neuromuscular Actuation System Model.” Trans. IEE 1968 3 Sept. 61
- Fisher D.K. “Brake System Component Performance Measurement and Analysis.” SAE Trans. 1970 paper No. 700373
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Prediction of Braking Behaviour of Commercial Vehicle Drivers.” Science and Motor Vehicles JUMV 1981