This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Behaviour During Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Data is first presented of how accurately a driver can judge his pedal effort, deceleration, speed, and distance from a stopping point. Typical braking behaviour obtained by drivers under controlled conditions is then described, both for car and commercial vehicle drivers and, based on this evidence, a mathematical model is presented for the driver in the braking situation. The simulation study based on that model is discussed with reference to comparative results obtained from road tests.
CitationNewcomb, T., "Driver Behaviour During Braking," SAE Technical Paper 810832, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810832.
- Spurr R. T. “Subjective Assessment of Brake Performance.” Auto.Engr. 1965 55 393
- Spurr R.T. “Subjective Aspects of Braking.” Auto.Engr. 1969 59 58
- Denton G.G. “A Subjective Scale of Speed When Driving a Motor.” Ergonomics 1966 9 3 203
- Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Aspects of Driver Behaviour During Braking.” XV Congress FISITA 1974
- Michaels R.M. Cozan L.W. “Perceptual and Field Factors Causing Lateral Displacement.” Highway Res. Board U.S.A., 42nd Annual Meeting 1963
- Spurr R.T. “Driver Behaviour During Braking.” Proc. Symp. on Psychological Aspects of Driver Behaviour Holland 1972 1 2
- Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “The Behaviour of Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers During Braking.” XVIII Congress FISITA 1980
- Lee A. “A Theory of Visual Control of Braking.” Perception 1976 5 437
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “A Simulation Study of the Behaviour of the Driver During Braking.” XVI Congress FISITA 1976 1 4
- McRuer D.T. Krendel E.S. “Mathematical Models of Human Pilot Behaviour.” Agardograph 1974 188 Jan. 45
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Simulation of Driver Behaviour During Braking.” Proc. I. Mech. E. Conference on Braking of Road Vehicles 1976 197
- Stapleford R..L. Peters R.A. Alex F.R. “Experiments and a Model for Pilot Dynamics With Visual and Motion Inputs.” NASA CR-1325 1969 May
- McCruer D.T. Magadleno P.E. Moore G.P. “A Neuromuscular Actuation System Model.” Trans. IEE 1968 3 Sept. 61
- Fisher D.K. “Brake System Component Performance Measurement and Analysis.” SAE Trans. 1970 paper No. 700373
- McLean D. Newcomb T.P. Spurr R.T. “Prediction of Braking Behaviour of Commercial Vehicle Drivers.” Science and Motor Vehicles JUMV 1981