This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sealing Performance of Lip Type Seals for Rotary Shaft and Reciprocating Shaft under Low Temperature Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For either case for rotary shaft or reciprocating shaft motion, rubber lip type seal leakage problems are often encountered under low temperature conditions. As for causes of leakage under low temperature conditions, there are several factors such as following ability of the sealing lip for runout of a shaft or rod, roughening of the sealing surface of the rubber material at the stage of initial motion and so on. Sealing performance is essentially dependent upon the low temperature property of the rubber materials.
In this paper, the leakage phenomena is explained through visco-elastic characteristics of the rubber materials.
CitationKawahara, Y., Motohashi, H., Iida, S., Miura, T. et al., "Sealing Performance of Lip Type Seals for Rotary Shaft and Reciprocating Shaft under Low Temperature Condition," SAE Technical Paper 870508, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870508.
- Williams M. L. Landel R. F. Ferry J. D. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 77 1955 3701
- Grosch K. A. Proc. Roy. Soc. A274 1963
- Hirano F. Ishiwata H. Proc. 2nd Int. conf. On Fluid Sealing BHRA 1964
- Nakamura K. Kawahara Y. Proc. 10th Int. conf. On Fluid Sealing BHRA 1984
- Hirano F. Kaneta M. Proc. 5th Int. conf. On Fluid Sealing BHRA 1971