This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Effect of 5% Biodiesel -Diesel Blend on Heavy Duty Buses: With Different Aspiration Technologies in Respect of Vehicle Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel derived from non-edible vegetable oils/tree borne oils hold potential for meeting India's future energy needs by part substitution of Diesel Fuel. This paper investigates performance of 5% blend of commercially available biodiesel (B5) in diesel as fuel for heavy duty vehicles. The test fuel was evaluated on buses with different aspiration technologies viz. naturally aspirated and turbo charged, and the same was compared with neat commercial diesel under different operating conditions like driving cycle, road load simulation (RLS) and wide open throttle (WOT) on chassis dynamometer for power, fuel economy, smoke and soot particle number concentration. Fuel economy was observed to be comparable with B5 in naturally aspirated bus while better fuel economy was observed in case of Turbo charged bus with B5. However, there was a marginal drop in the WOT power (vehicle) with B5 fuel in naturally aspirated bus while the drop was higher with Turbo charged bus. In general the particle number concentration with naturally aspirated bus was higher than turbo charged bus.
CitationMuralidharan, M., Subramanian, M., Kanal, P., and Malhotra, R., "Investigation on the Effect of 5% Biodiesel -Diesel Blend on Heavy Duty Buses: With Different Aspiration Technologies in Respect of Vehicle Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1309, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1309.
- Li, H., Andrews, G., and Balsevich-Prieto, J., “Study of Emission and Combustion Characteristics of RME B100 Biodiesel from a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0074, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0074.
- McCormick, R., Tennant, C., Hayes, R., Black, S. et al., “Regulated Emissions from Biodiesel Tested in Heavy-Duty Engines Meeting 2004 Emission Standards,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2200, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2200.
- Li, H., Lea-Langton, A., Andrews, G., Thompson, M. et al., “Comparison of Exhaust Emissions and Particulate Size Distribution for Diesel, Biodiesel and Cooking Oil from a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0076, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0076.
- Schmidt, K. and Van Gerpen, J., “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Composition on Diesel Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 961086, 1996, doi: 10.4271/961086.
- Fosseen, D, Schumacher, L. G., Goetz, W., Borgelt, S.C., and Hires, W.G., Fueling Heavy Duty Diesel Engines With Blends of Soydiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel, Proceedings of an Alternative Energy Conference, American Society of Agricultural Engineers Summer Meeting. Kansas City, MO, (1994).
- Murillo, S., Míguez, J.L., Porteiro, J., Granada, E., Moraán, J.C., Performance and exhaust emissions in the use of biodiesel in outboard diesel engines, Fuel 86 (2007) 1765-1771.
- McCormick, R.L., Williams, A., Ireland, J., Brimhall, M., and Hayes, R.R., Effects of Biodiesel Blends on Vehicle Emissions, Milestone Report NREL/MP-540-40554, October 2006.
- Durbin, Thomas D., et al, Final Report- Evaluation of the Effects of Biodiesel Fuel on Emissions from Heavy-Duty Non-Road Vehicles, Contract No. 99132, May 2002.
- Subramanian, M., Malhotra, R., and Kanal, P., “Performance Evaluation of Biodiesel - Diesel Blends in Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0088, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-28-0088.
- Olatunji, I., Wayne, S., Gautam, M., Clark, N. et al., “Biodiesel Blend Emissions of a 2007 Medium Heavy Duty Diesel Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1968, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1968.
- McGill, R., Storey, J., Wagner, R., Irick, D. et al., “Emission Performance of Selected Biodiesel Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1866, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1866.
- Kousoulidou, M., Fontaras, G., Ntziachristos, L., and Samaras, Z., “Evaluation of Biodiesel Blends on the Performance and Emissions of a Common-Rail Light-Duty Engine and Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0692, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0692.
- Muralidharan, M., Thariyan, M., Roy, S., Subrahmanyam, J. et al., “Use of Pongamia Biodiesel in CI Engines for Rural Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0030, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-28-0030.
- Subramanian, M, Muralidharan, M, Kanal, P C, Malhotra, R K, Bio-Diesel as an Alternative fuel for Diesel Vehicles-Experimental Investigations, JSAE No. 20065474.
- Srivastava, D., Agarwal, A., and Gupta, T., “Particulate Characterization of Biodiesel Fuelled Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-28-0018, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-28-0018.
- Lea-Langton, A., Li, H., and Andrews, G., “Comparison of Particulate PAH Emissions for Diesel, Biodiesel and Cooking Oil using a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1811, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1811.
- Holden, Bruce, Jack, Jason, Miller, Wayne, Durbin, Tom, Effect of Biodiesel on Diesel Engine Nitrogen Oxide and other Regulated Emissions, Technical Report, TR-2275-ENV, Project No. WP-0308, Naval Facilities Engineering Service Center, May 2006.
- Technical Report, Experimental Trial Using Biodiesel Fuel in Heavy Fleet Vehicles, Maine Department of Transportation, Transportation Research Division, May 2004.
- Schumacher, L. G., Weber, J. A., and Krahl, J. G., An Alternative Fuel For Urban Buses- Biodiesel Blends. Proceedings of the Second Biomass Conference of the Americas. Portland, OR. 1995.
- Andreae, M., Fang, H., and Bhandary, K., “Biodiesel and Fuel Dilution of Engine Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4036, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4036.
- Peterson, Charles L. and Reece, Daryl, Toxicology, Biodegradability and Environmental Benefits of Biodiesel, Biodiesel ′94 (1994).
- Jaroonjitsathian, S., Akarapanjavit, N., Sa-norh, S., In-ochanon, R. et al., “Evaluation of 5 to 20% Biodiesel Blend on Heavy-duty Common-rail Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1894, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1894.
- ELPI, User Manual, Dekati Ltd., 2001.
- Tompkins, B., Esquivel, J., and Jacobs, T., “Performance Parameter Analysis of a Biodiesel-Fuelled Medium Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0481, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0481.
- Subramanian, M., Muralidharan, M., Kanal, P., and Malhotra, R., “Characterization of Particulates with Different Blends of Bio-Fuels in Light Commercial Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-357, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-26-357.
- Takashi, F., Glassman, I., 1984. Sooting Correlations for Premixed Flames, Combustion Science & Technology 37, 1-19.