This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct Injection Diesel Capabilities for Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Capabilities of DI diesel engines for passenger cars were evaluated in a research program. Three experimental DI diesel engines, a naturally aspirated 2.4L four cylinder engine and a naturally aspirated and turbocharged 1.3L three cylinder engine, were designed, built and developed. Design parameters and calibrations were determined for optimized power and fuel economy at low emission levels. The effects of cylinder displacement and turbocharging were evaluated. Vehicle tests showed that the DI diesel engine provided an 11 to 13% improvement in fuel economy relative to the IDI diesel engine. The low mileage objectives assumed for the 1985 Federal emission standards were met at vehicle test weights up to 3125 lbs.
CitationWade, W., Idzikowski, T., Kukkonen, C., and Reams, L., "Direct Injection Diesel Capabilities for Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 850552, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850552.
- Reams L. A. Wiemero T. A. Levin M. B. Wade W. R. “Capabilities of Diesel Electronic Fuel Control,” SAE Paper Mo. 820449 February 1982
- Wade W. R. White J. E. Jones C. M. Hunter C. E. Hansen S. P. “Combustion, Friction and Fuel Tolerance Improvements for the IDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 840515 March 1984
- Cichocki R. Cartellieri W. “The Passenger Car Direct Injection Diesel - A Performance and Emission Update,” SAE Paper No. 810480 1981
- “Small, High Speed DI Diesels, A Breakthrough,” Automotive Engineering 79 92 8 August 1984
- Thien V. G. “Entwicklungsarbeiten an Ventilkanalen von Viertakt-Dieselmotoren” (Development Work on Valve Ports of Four Cycle Diesel Engines) Osterreichische Ingenieur-Zeitschrift 1965
- Cartellieri W. Werlberger P. “Untersuchung Der Verbrennung In Dieselmotoren Mit Direkter Einspritzung Mit Hilfe Einer Neuartigen Hochgeschwindigkeit-Verbrennungsfilmtechnik” (Investigation of Combustion in High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines Using a Novel High Speed Combustion Photography Technique) SAE P- 143 , Paper 845008 , XX. FISITA Congress Vienna May 1984
- Cartellieri W. “Direct Injection for Light Duty Diesel Engines,” SIA - Journal “Ingenieur De L'Automobile” 6 September-October 1980
- Wade W. R. “Light Duty Diesel NOx-HC-Particulate Trade-Off Studies,” SAE Paper No. 800335 February 1980
- Meyer K. P. “Fuel Economy, Emissions and Noise of Multi-Spray Light Duty DI Diesels -Current Status and Development Trends” IMechE Paper No. C421/84, Presented at the International Conference on Fuel Efficient Power Trains and Vehicles, VECON 84 London October 22 1984