This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed Loop Control Using Ion Current Signal in a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Signals indicative of in-cylinder combustion have been under investigation for the control of diesel engines to meet stringent emission standards and other production targets in performance and fuel economy. This paper presents the results of an investigation on the use of the ion current signal for the close loop control of a heavy duty four cylinder turbocharged diesel engine equipped with a common rail injection system.
A correlation is developed between the start of ion current signal (SIC) and the location of the peak of premixed combustion (LPPC) in the rate of heat release trace. Based on this correlation, a PID closed loop controller is developed to adjust the injection timing for proper combustion phasing under steady and transient engine operating conditions.
CitationBadawy, T., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "Closed Loop Control Using Ion Current Signal in a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2433, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2433.
- Kitamura, Y. Mohammadi, A. Ishiyama, T. Shioji, M. “Fundamental Investigation of NOx Formation in Diesel Combustion Under Supercharged and EGR Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0364 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0364
- Fischer, S. Stein, J. “Investigation on the Effect of Very High Fuel Injection Pressure on Soot-NOx Emissions at High Load in a Passenger Car Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1737 1748 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1930
- Jun, J. Song, S. Chun, K. Lee, K. “Comparison of NOx Level and BSFC for HPL EGR and LPL EGR System of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3451 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3451
- Bertola, A. Schubiger, R. Kasper, A. Matter, U. et al. “Characterization of Diesel Particulate Emissions in Heavy-Duty DI-Diesel Engines with Common Rail Fuel Injection Influence of Injection Parameters and Fuel Composition,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3573 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3573
- Matsumoto, T. Hori, M. Nakane, T. Horiuchi, M. et al. “Advanced Emission Control Technologies for PM Reduction in Heavy-Duty Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1862 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1862
- Wlodarczyk, M. Poorman, T. Xia, L. Arnold, J. et al. “In-Cylinder Fiber-Optic Pressure Sensors for Monitoring and Control of Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 981913 1998 10.4271/981913
- Homsy, S. Atreya, A. “An Experimental Heat Release Rate Analysis of a Diesel Engine Operating Under Steady State Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 970889 1997 10.4271/970889
- Yu, S. Song, H. Min, K. Choi, H. et al. “Development of Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1418 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1418
- Toth, D. Shaw, T. Wlodarczyk, M. Cummings, C. “Cylinder Head Gasket with Integrated Combustion Pressure Sensors for Advanced Engine Controls,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1235 1246 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0938
- Glavmo, M. Spadafora, P. Bosch, R. “Closed Loop Start of Combustion Control Utilizing Ionization Sensing in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0549 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0549
- Kubach, H. Velji, A. Spicher, U. Fischer, W. “Ion Current Measurement in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2922 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2922
- Adair, J. Viele, M. Dyne, E. V. “Ion Sensing For Off-Highway Diesel Engine to Meet Future Emission Regulations,” ASME ICES2006-1332 2006
- Larsson, M. Denbratt, I. Koopmans, L. “Ion Current Sensing in an Optical HCCI Engine with Negative Valve Overlap,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0009 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0009
- Henein, N. Badawy, T. Rai, N. Bryzik, W. “Ion Current, Combustion and Emission Characteristics in an Automotive Common Rail Diesel Engine,” ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine, Technical Paper ICEF2010-35123 2010
- Henein, N. Bryzik, W. Abdel-Rehim, A. Gupta, A. “Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 260 281 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0567
- Oppenauer, K. Alberer, D. del Re, L. “Control Oriented Crank Angle Based Analysis of Soot Dynamics During Diesel Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2105 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2105
- Saitzkoff, A. Reinmann, R. Berglind, T. Glavmo, M. “An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 960337 1996 10.4271/960337
- Asano, M. Kuma, T. Kajitani, M. Takeuchi, M. “Development of New Ion Current Combustion Control System,” SAE Technical Paper 980162 1998 10.4271/980162
- Abdel-Rehim, A. Henein, N. VanDyne, E. “Impact of A/F Ratio on Ion Current Features Using Spark Plug with Negative Polarity,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 432 445 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1005
- Badawy, T. Shrestha, A. Henien, N. “Detection of Combustion Resonance Using an Ion Current sensor in diesel Engines,” ASME ICEF2011-60068 2011
- Betty, K. R. Horlick, G. “Frequency response plots for Savitzky-Golay filter functions,” Anal. Chem. 49 2 351 352 1977
- Teukolsky, S. A. Vetterling, W. T. Flannery, B. P. “Numerical Recipes 3rd Edition: The Art of Scientific Computing,” Cambridge University Press 766 773 2007
- Zhong, L. Singh, I. Han, J. Lai, M. et al. “Effect of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in the Injection Pressure in a Common Rail Diesel Injection System on Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0699 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0699
- Badawy, T. Rai, N. Singh, J. Bryzik, W. Henein, N. “Effect of design and operating parameters on the ion current in a single-cylinder diesel engine,” Int. J. Engine Res. 2011