This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Best Function for the Seat of a Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to optimize the function of an automobile seat, its geometrical and physical properties must be designed so that the loads resulting from the body weight and ambient factors (such as vibration, forces arising from vehicle dynamics, climatic conditions) act on the body of the occupant in such a way that the stress to which it is subjected is kept to a minimum.
The physically measurable loads subject the driver to stress, i.e. they act mainly by changing biological processes in the organism, and drivers of widely different body statures must be considered. So the “correct” seat will necessarily be a compromise.
From a careful integration of all requirements using the latest techniques, it emerged that an all-foam seat cushion incorporating varying degrees of firmness could be used to advantage. In this way Audi succeeded relatively quickly in designing a seat arrangement with remarkably positive characteristics.
|Technical Paper||Computer Simulations of the Active Motion System with Musculo-skeletal Models|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation and Optimization of Driver Posture|
CitationWeichenrieder, A. and Haldenwanger, H., "The Best Function for the Seat of a Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 850484, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850484.
- Diebschlag W. “Anatomical and physiological shaping and upholstery of vehicle seats” ADAC Strassenverkehr (Road Traffic) Munich 1984
- Jürgens H.W. (“Anthropometry” Ergonomics Handbook Steinebach 1975
- Dupuis H. “Stress imposed on human beings by mechanical vibration” Bonn 1984
- ISO 2631 “Guide for the evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration” 2nd 1978
- VDI 2057 “Assessing the effects of mechanical vibration on human beings” 1979 1981 1978
- Dupuis H. “Mechanical Vibration” Ergonomics Handbook Steinebach 1975
- Haldenwanger H.-G. “Development and testing of seats for automobiles” Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 1982
- Ochner P. “Upholstery materials”) Optimum seat design Technische Akademie Esslingen 1980