This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Achievement of Stable and Clean Combustion Over a Wide Operating Range in a Spark-Assisted IDI Diesel Engine with Neat Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spark-assisted diesel engines operated with alcohol fuels usually display misfiring or knocking problems. This paper presents an analysis of the factors influencing the ignition characteristics of ethanol in a swirl chamber diesel engine with a multi-spark ignitor. In the experiments, cycle-to-cycle combustion variations and the degree of knocking were investigated by changing engine parameters over a wide operating range. The results of the investigations showed that stable ignition and smooth combustion is achieved when a flammable mixture is formed in the vicinity of the spark plug when only a small amount of the injected fuel has evaporated. By optimizing the design factors, operation with high efficiency and low exhaust emissions was achieved.
CitationMurayama, T., Ogawa, H., Miyamoto, N., and Chikahisa, T., "Achievement of Stable and Clean Combustion Over a Wide Operating Range in a Spark-Assisted IDI Diesel Engine with Neat Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 840517, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840517.
- Chikahisa T., Miyamoto N., and Murayama T., “Smokeless, Low NOx, and Low Noise Diesel Combustion with Methanol as a Main Fuel”, SAE paper 811375, November 1981
- Murayama T., Miyamoto N., and Chikahisa T. “Ethanol Introduction into the Intake Manifold in a Diesel Engine up to 80% of the Total Energy Supply, without Knocking”, 5th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, New Zealand, May 1982
- Murayama T., Miyamoto N., Yamada T., Kawashima J., and Itow K., “A Method to Improve the Solubility and Combustion Characteristics of Alcohol-Diesel Fuel Blends”, SAE paper 821113, September 1982
- Miyamoto N., Yamazaki K., and Murayama T., “Glow Plug or Spark Plug Makes the Efficient Use of Neat Alcohol Fuels Possible in a Diesel Engine”, 5th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, New Zealand, May 1982
- Murayama T., Miyamoto N., Chikahisa T., and Ogawa H., “Elimination of Combustion Difficulties in a Glow Plug-Assisted Diesel Engine Operated with Pure Ethanol and Water-Ethanol Mixtures”, SAE paper 830373, February 1983
- Lewis J.M., and Tierney W.T., “United Parcel Service Applies Texaco Stratified Charge Engine Technology to Power Parcel Delivery Vans Progress Report”, SAE paper 801429, 1980
- Meurer J.S., and Urlaub A.C., “Development and Operational Results of the MAN FM Combustion System”, SAE paper 690255, 1969
- Phatak R.G., and Komiyama K., “Investigation of a Spark-asisted Diesel Engine”, SAE paper 830588, March 1983
- Adelman H.G, “Development of An Alcohol Fueled Spark Asisted Diesel Engine”, 5th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, New Zealand, May 1982
- Murayama T., Yamada T., Miyamoto N., and Chikahisa T., “Nature and Reduction of Cycle-to-Cycle Combustion Variation in an IDI Diesel Engine with Ethanol-Diesel Fuel Blends”, SAE paper 831352, September 1983