This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Combustion System for a Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 12, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new combustion system for a light duty D.I. diesel engine was developed, and a 3.5 ton payload truck (6.5 ton G.V.W.) equipped with this D.I. diesel engine and this combustion system realized good fuel economy and lower exhaust gas emission. Generally, light duty vehicles have to operate over a wide engine speed range. Therefore application of a D.I. diesel engine to light duty vehicles is difficult because of combustion tuning requirements over a wide engine speed range. Up to now, most of the diesel engines for light vehicles have been of the I.D.I. type. But the D.I. diesel engine has an evident advantage of lower fuel consumption.
In these circumstances the authors developed a new combustion chamber shape for a small D.I. diesel engine with turbulence induced intake port and optimum fuel injection equipment. Various combustion chamber geometries were tested and evaluated. Flow visualization technique using the oil film method and high speed schlieren photography of the combustion process were used. A combustion chamber having a special cavity shape which promotes a better mixing with the injected fuel spray was selected. The newly developed model W engine with this combustion system realized better fuel consumption over a wide speed range.
CitationShigemori, M., Tsuruoka, S., and Shimoda, M., "Development of a Combustion System for a Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 831296, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831296.
- Cickocki R. Catellieri W. “The Passenger Car Direct Injection Diesel- A Performance and Emission Update” SAE 810480 1981
- Neitz A. D'Alfonso N. “The MAN Combustion System with Controlled Direct Injection for Passenger Car Diesel Engine” SAE 810479 1981
- ELSBETT L ELSBETT G ELSBETT K BEHRENS M “Elko's 1.4 litter 3 cylinder direct injection diesel engine” Instn. Mech Engrs, C116/82
- Suzuki T. Shiozaki T. “A new Combustion System for the Diesel Engine and Its Analysis via High Speed Photography” SAE 770674 1977
- Shiozaki T. Suzuki T. Shimoda M. “Observation of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine via High Speed Direct and Schlieren Photography” SAE 800025 1980
- Shimamoto Y. Oka M. Tanaka Y. “A Research on Inertia Charging Effect on Intake System in Multi-Cylinder Engines” Bulletin of the JSME 21 153 502 March 1978
- Hamamoto Y. Shibagaki G. “Visualization of Boundary Layer Flow on Piston Crown of Internal Combustion Engine” Fourth Symposium on Flow Visualization Institute of Space and Aeronautical Science, University of Tokyo 1976