This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Antiseizure Properties of Motor Oils in Crankshaft Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Relative comparison of the antiseizure properties of motor oils in crankshaft main bearing was studied by observing the sudden temperature rise at the surface treated bearing, fitted in a Japanese 1.8 1 gasoline engine, using twenty-eight experimental oils and five commercial low viscosity oils. The results obtained are as follows.
The antiseizure properties of the single grade oils depend directly on their viscosities, and higher viscosity oils have preferable property.
In case of the multigrade oils, viscosity index improvers (VIIs) play an important role, and the antiseizure properties of the SAE 5W-30 oils vary from that of the SAE 20 single grade oil to the SAE 30 sigle grade oil depending on the VII contained.
Detergent inhibitor packages and friction modifiers contained in the multigrade oils have a little effect on the antiseizure property.
|Technical Paper||Bearing Loads on Radial-Engine Crankshafts|
|Technical Paper||A New Method of Calculating Plain Bearings of Statically Indeterminate Crankshafts|
|Technical Paper||A Study of Oil Film Pressure Distribution on Connecting Rods Big Ends|
CitationKotani, T., Yamada, S., Okumura, K., and Kobayashi, Y., "A Study of Antiseizure Properties of Motor Oils in Crankshaft Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 821197, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821197.
- Haviland Merrill L. Goodwin, Kalcolm C. “Fuel Economy Improvements with Friction-Hodified Engine Oils in EPA and Road Tests” SAE Paper 790945
- Lohuis, J.R. Murphy, J.A. Rogers, T.W. “The Performance of Fuel-Saving Engine Oils” SAE Paper 800436
- Hamaguchi, H. Maeda, Y. Maeda, T. “Fuel Efficient Motor Oil for Japanese Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 810316
- Pike, W.C. Banks, F.R. Kulik, S. “A Simple High Shear Viscometer - Aspects of Correlation with Engine Performance” SAE Paper 780981
- Neudörfl, P. “The Effect of Polymers in Multigrade Lubricating Oils on Engine Wear” SAE Paper 760269
- Stambaugh, R.L. Kopko, R.J. Bennett, P.A. “The Relationship of Journal Bearing Wear to Multigrade Engine Oil Viscometric Properties” SAE Paper 770627
- du Parquet J. Godet, A. “Assessment of Lubrication Conditions in a Big-End Bearing by Temperature Measurements --- Correlation with High Shear Viscosity” SAE Paper 780980
- Smith, M.F. Jr Stewart, R.M. Stringer, H.R. “Shear Stability of Multigrade Crankcase Oils in Cars, Laboratory Engine, and Bench Tests” SAE Paper 720946
- Kuroiwa, M. Preprint A-2, Japan Petroleum Institute 20th Technical Meeting 1977