This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Retrofit Feedback Control of A/F Ratio and Ignition Timing for Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An electronic engine management system has been developed to control both ignition timing and air-fuel (A/F) ratio to maximize fuel economy. Both controls employ feedback techniques and are therefore intrinsically adaptable to a wide variety of models, as required for a universal retrofit market. The ignition control loop monitors the position of the combustion pressure peak while the mixture control loop senses the lean limit as defined by a roughness threshold. Test results demonstrate fuel economy and transient operation. A brief background to the New Zealand energy conservation program is in included as background to the system’s specification.
CitationMorris, J., Anderson, H., and Smith, R., "Retrofit Feedback Control of A/F Ratio and Ignition Timing for Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 820389, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820389.
- Bone T. A. “Differential Supply and Pricing of Motor Vehicles,” NZERDC Contract 3108, Interim Report 1978
- Morris, J. E. “Automotive Engine Management Systems,” N.Z. Energy Research and Development Committee Report P19 1979
- Cassidy, J. F. “Emissions and Total Energy Consumption of a Multicylinder Piston Engine Running on Gasoline and a Hydrogen-Gasoline Mixture,” NASA publication TN D-8487 1977
- Leshner, M. D. Luengo C. A. Calandra, F. “Brazilian Experience with Self-Adjusting Fuel System for Variable Alcohol-Gasoline Blends,” SAE paper 800265
- Leshner, M. D. Stuart J. W. Leshner, E. “Closed Loop Control for Adaptive Lean Limit Operation,” SAE paper 780039
- Schweitzer P. H. Collins, T. W. “Electronic Spark Timing Control for Motor Vehicles,” SAE paper 780655
- Hubbard, M. Dobson P. D. Powell, J. D. “Closed Loop Control of Spark Advance Using a Cylinder Pressure Sensor,” ASME paper 75-WA/Aut.17
- Hosey R. J. Powell, J. D. “Closed Loop, Knock Adaptive Spark Timing Control Based on Cylinder Pressure,” ASME paper 78-WA/DSC-15
- Randall K. W. Powell, J. D. Contract DOT-OS-3011 final report 1976
- Randall K. W. Powell, J. D. “A Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Spark Advance Control and Knock Detection,” SAE paper 790139
- Heywood, J. B. Higgins, J. M. Watts P. A. Tabaczynski, R. J. SAE paper 790291
- Kondo, M. Niimi A. Nakamnara, T. “Indiscope - A Non Combustion Pressure Indicator with Washer Transducers,” SAE paper 750883
- Standards Association of New Zealand N.Z.Standard NZS 5420:1980 “Methods of Test for Petrol Consumption of Passenger Cars.”
- Morris, J. E. ”Instrumentation of Cars for Fuel Economy: NZEHDC Contract 3119 Final Report,” N.Z. Energy Research and Development Committee, Report 70 1981
- Morris, J. E. “Instrumentation of Cars for Fuel Economy: Appendices to Report 70,” N.Z. Energy Research and Development Committee Publication PSI 1981
- Morris, J. E. Smith Roy Anderson, II. “Data Acquisition and Analysis in a Vehicle with a Commodore PET,” submitted to J. Phys. E.: Sci. Instrum