This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Thermodynamic Study on Boosted HCCI: Experimental Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stricter emissions legislation and growing demands for lower fuel consumption require significant efforts to improve combustion efficiency while satisfying the emission quality demands. Controlled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combined with boosted air systems on gasoline engines provides a particularly promising, yet challenging, approach.
Naturally aspirated (NA) HCCI has already shown considerable potential in combustion efficiency gains. Nevertheless, since the volumetric efficiency is limited in the NA HCCI operation range due to the hot residuals required to ignite the mixture and slow down reaction kinetics, only part-load operation is feasible in this combustion mode. Considering the future gasoline engine market with growing potentials identified in downsized gasoline engines, it becomes necessary to investigate the synergies and challenges of controlled, boosted HCCI. Additional HCCI potential can be achieved through the added breathing capabilities, resulting in the extension of the operation map and further optimization of fuel efficiency and emissions (NOx-free, lean operation). These potentials were addressed in this work by thermodynamic analysis of measured data on a 4-cylinder, 2.0L, direct injection, SI engine. This engine was run in HCCI mode up to 6.5 bar BMEP load using a combined boosting system (external boosting and engine turbo-charger). As an outlook, further challenges associated with controlled boosted HCCI were addressed.
CitationKulzer, A., Nier, T., and Karrelmeyer, R., "A Thermodynamic Study on Boosted HCCI: Experimental Results," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0905, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0905.
Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion (including HCCI), 2011
Number: SP-2313; Published: 2011-04-12
Number: SP-2313; Published: 2011-04-12
- Kulzer, A. Christ, A. Rauscher, M. Sauer, C. Würfel, G. Blank, T. “Thermodynamic Analyses and Benchmark of Various Gasoline Combustion Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0231 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0231
- Weberbauer, F. Rauscher, M. Kulzer, A. Knopf, M Bargende, M. “Generally applicable split of losses for new combustion concepts” Motortechnische Zeitschrift MTZ 2 2005
- Wolters, P. Salber, W. Geiger, J. Duesmann, M. Dilthey, J. “Controlled Autoignition Combustion Process With An Electromechanical Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0032 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0032
- Oakley, A. Zhao, H. Ladommatos, N. Ma, T. “Experimental Studies on Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion of Gasoline in a 4-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1030 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1030
- Kulzer, A. Fischer, W. Karrelmeyer, R. Sauer, C. Wintrich, T. Benninger, K. “The CO2 Potential of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition on Gasoline Engines under Controlled Operation” Motortechnische Zeitschrift MTZ 1 2009
- Kulzer, A. Rauscher, M. Sauer, C. Orlandini, I. Weberbauer, F. “Methods for Analysis of SI-HCCI Combustion with Variable Valve Actuation” 6th International Symposium Stuttgart 2005
- Sauer, Ch. Rauscher, M. Kulzer, A. Orlandini, I Bargende, M. “Characteristics of Gasoline HCCI using Direct Injection and Variable Valvetrain” Haus der Technik - Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotor June 2005
- Alt, M. Grebe, U. Najt, P. Wermuth, N. Huebler, M. Reuss, D. “HCCI - vom thermodynamischen Potential zum realen Kraftstoffverbrauch im Mehrzylinder-Ottomotor” 11th Conference on The Working Cycle of the Internal Combustion Process Graz 2007
- Wermuth, N. Yun, H. Najt, P. “Enhancing Light Load HCCI Combustion in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine by Fuel Reforming During Recompression,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 823 836 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0923
- Dec, J. Yang, Y. “Boosted HCCI for High Power without Engine Knock and with Ultra-Low Nox Emissions using Conventional Gasoline,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 750 767 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1086
- Kulzer, A. Lejsek, D. Nier, T. “A Thermodynamic Study on Boosted HCCI: Motivation, Analysis and Potential,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 733 749 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1082
- Johansson, T. Johansson, B. Tunestål, P. Aulin, H. “HCCI Operating Range in a Turbo-charged Multi Cylinder Engine with VVT and Spray-Guided DI,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0494 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0494
- Eng, J. “Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2859