This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Characteristics of the Human Spine During -Gx Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spinal kinematics and kinetics of human cadaveric specimens subjected to -Gx acceleration are reported along with an attempt to design a surrogate spine for use in an anthropomorphic test device (ATD). There were a total of 30 runs on 9 embalmed and 2 unembalmed cadavers which were heavily instrumented. External photographic targets were attached to T1, T12, and the pelvis to record spinal kinematics. The subjects were restrained by upper and lower leg clamps attached to an impact seat equipped with a six-axis load cell.
A rigid link 486 mm long and pinned at both ends was proposed for use in an ATD as a surrogate spine. An optimization method was used to obtain the location and length of a linkage which followed the least squares path of Tl relative to the pelvis.
CitationMital, N., Cheng, R., Levine, R., and King, A., "Dynamic Characteristics of the Human Spine During -Gx Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 780889, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780889.
- Nyquist, G. W. Murton, D. J. “Static Bending Response of the Human Lower Torso” 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1975 513 541
- Mallikarjunarao, C. Padgaonkar, A. J. Levine, R. S. Gurdjian, E. S. King, A. I. “Kinesiology of the Human Spine Under Static Loading” Proc. of the 1977 Biomechanics Symposium 1977 99 102
- Ewing, C. L. Thomas, D. J. “Human Head and Neck Response to Impact Acceleration” NAMRL Monograph 21 1972
- Padgaonkar, A. J. “Validation Study of a Three-Dimensional Crash Victim Simulator for Pedestrian- Vehicle Impact” Ph.D. Thesis Wayne State University 1976
- Padgaonkar, A. J. Krieger, K. W. King, A. I. “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers” J. of Applied Mechanics 1975 552 556
- Sarkisyan, Y. L. Gupta, K. C. Roth, B. “Kinematic Geometry Associated with Least-Square Approximation of a Given Motion” J. of Engineering for Industry 1973 503 510
- Wong, Y. Y. Twigg, D. W. Erickson, R. A. Southall, R. M. OPTREG - an Interactive Computer Program for Optimization and Regression Tech. Rept. #BCS-G0792 1975