This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Upper Body Twisting Behavior in Frontal and Oblique Impacts using Hybrid III and THOR-FT Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An analysis of real-world traffic accidents shows that vehicle-to-vehicle collisions at an oblique impact angle account for 80% of all frontal accidents. It is thought that twisting of the upper body and legs of occupants occurs in this type of accident because of rotation of the vehicles at the time of impact. Such twisting of an occupant's restrained upper body might affect the effectiveness of occupant restraint systems, for example, an airbag may strike the head or thorax area at an oblique angle.
The mechanism of upper body twisting and the possible effect of such twisting behavior on the performance of restraint systems were analyzed. Frontal sled tests were conducted to compare the response of the Hybrid III dummy and that of the next-generation THOR-FT dummy featuring improved biofidelity. MADYMO simulation models of the Hybrid III dummy and the THOR Alpha dummy were also used to examine occupant behavior in frontal impacts. It was found that the THOR-FT dummy exhibited greater upper body twisting than the Hybrid III dummy, which is attributed to the increased flexibility of the former dummy's thoracic spine. Owing to the different behavior displayed by the THOR-FT dummy, it was seen that the dummy's right arm came in contact with the steering wheel rim in a frontal impact and that the shoulder belt tended to slip off the dummy's shoulder in an oblique impact. The interaction of the dummy with the restraint system tended to differ from that seen for the Hybrid III dummy.
CitationDeguchi, T., Nagae, K., Maki, T., and Okabe, T., "An Analysis of Upper Body Twisting Behavior in Frontal and Oblique Impacts using Hybrid III and THOR-FT Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1169, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1169.
- Hontschik H. Ruter G. 1980 Investigations into the efficacy of three-point seat-belts in oblique impact experiments Proc. 1980 Conference of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) 128 138
- Horsch J. 1980 Occupant dynamics as a function of impact angle and belt restraint Paper 801310 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pennsylvania
- Kent R. Shaw G. Lessley D. Crandall J. Kallieris D. Svensson M. 2003 Comparison of belted Hybrid III THOR, and cadaver thoracic responses in oblique frontal and full frontal sled tests, Paper number 2003-01-0160 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Kroell C. Schneider D. Nahum A. 1971 Impact tolerance and response of the human thorax Paper number 710851 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pennsylvania
- Kroell C. Schneider D. Nahum A. 1974 Impact tolerance and response of the human thorax II, ” Paper number 741187 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pennsylvania
- Neathery R. 1974 Analysis of chest impact response data and scaled performance recommendations Proc. 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference 459 493 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Patrick L. 1981 Impact force-deflection of the human thorax Proc. 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference 471 496
- Melvin J. Weber K. 1988 Review of biomechanical impact response and injury in the automotive environment Phase 1 Task B Final Report in DOT HS 807 224, US Department of Transportation
- Schneider L. King A. Beebe M. 1989 Design requirements and specifications: Thorax-Abdomen Development Task Interim Report, Trauma Assessment Device Development Program. Report DOT HS 807 511 U.S. Department of Transportation November 1989
- Schneider L. Haffner M. Eppinger R. Salloum M. Beebe M. Rouhana S. King A. Hardy W. Neathery R. 1992 Development of an advanced ATD thorax system for improved injury assessment in frontal crash environment Paper 922520 , Proc. 36th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Rangarajan Shams T., N. White R. Oster J Hjerpe E. Haffner 1998 Response of THOR in frontal sled testing in different restraint conditions IRCOBI Conference Proceedings Sept 1998
- Xu L Jensen J Brynes K Kim A Agaram V Davis K Hultman R Kostyniuk G Marshall M Mertz H Nusholtz G Rouhana S Scherer R 2000 Comparative performance evaluation of THOR and Hybrid III SAE paper no. 2000-01-0161 SAE Warrendale, PA
- Shaw G. Crandall J. Butcher J. 2000 Biofidelity evaluation of the THOR advanced frontal crash test dummy Proc. International Research Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) Montpellier, France
- Saeki H. Maki T. Miyasaka H. Ueda M. 2003 A Fundamental Study of frontal oblique offset impacts 18th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicle