This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Quantity of Lubricating Oil on Sealing Characteristics of Oil Seals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For purpose of clarifying the effect of quantity of lubricating oil supplied to the seal lip portion on sealing characteristics of oil seals, relations between the typical constructional applications of the fitting portion for oil seals and the quantity of the lubricating oil supplied to the oil seals are discussed.
Then the necessary minimum quantity of the lubricating oil for preventing the seal lip from wear is investigated. And it is clarified that the decrease in sealing characteristics occurs when the lubricating oil is supplied insufficiently to the seal lip portion and, finally, the countermeasure is discussed.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Properties of Material for Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Leakage Due to Deterioration of the Sealing Surface on Grease Seals|
CitationHirabayashi, H., Yukimasa, T., Uchino, K., and Yamaguchi, H., "Effect of Quantity of Lubricating Oil on Sealing Characteristics of Oil Seals," SAE Technical Paper 780406, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780406.
- Brink R. V. “Shaft Seal Theory” Textbook of ASLE Fluid Sealing 1969 1 27
- Hirabayashi H. Yukimasa T. Uchino K. “Effect of Foreign Matters on Sealing Characteristics of Oil Seals” Paper 770175 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit February 1977 1 9
- Horve L. A. “The Operation of Elastomeric Radial Lip Seals at High Temperatures” Paper 750810 1975 SAE Off-Highway Vehicle Meeting Milwaukee September 1975 1 8
- Hirano F. Ishiwata H. “The Lubricating Conditions of Lip Seal” I. Mech. E. Symposium on Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication, 1965, and Proc. IME 180 1965-1966 187 196
- Tanoue H. Yukimasa T. “Squeaking Phenomena of Rotary Shaft Lip Seals” Proc. 7th International Conference on Fluid Sealing B.H.R.A. September 1975 J3-27 J3-38
- Symons J. “Lip Motion - An Important Factor in Seal Design and Performance” ASLE Trans. 19-2 1976 135 143
- Woodbridge K. W. “Correct Lubrication of Pinion Bearing” Ball Bearing Journal SKF 178 1974 1 4