This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Properties of Material for Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The study of material properties is fundamental to the design, analysis, and service life estimation of rubber products. To investigate the usefulness of material test data the paper compares material test properties with those of a moulded product. The material properties include the stress-strain relationship, ageing properties in air and oil and abrasion properties. The study revealed the crucial material properties that directly affect the performance of a valve stem seal (VSS). In addition, a modified least square method is introduced to the Mooney-Rivlin fitting procedure.
CitationPham, D., Wang, J., Fern, A., and Mason-Jones, A., "Experimental Study of Properties of Material for Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0881, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0881.
- ANSYS Theory Reference 00656 Seventh
- ANSYS Structure Nonlinearities, User's Guide II
- Love A. E. H. A treatise on the mathematical theory of elasticity Cambridge at the University Press 1952
- Qamar I. Husain S. W. An improved numerical method to find parameters using experimental data International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 36 1993 2851 2860
- Accelerated ageing of rubber October 1993
- Method of testing vulcanized rubber. Accelerated ageing tests 1956
- Rubber, vulcanized - Accelerated ageing or heat-resistance tests 1982
- Physical testing of rubber. Method for determination of compression set at ambient, elevated or low temperature 1991
- Methods of testing vulcanised rubber Determination of abrasion resistance 1988
- Standard Classification System for Rubber Products in Automotive Application 1995
- Fern A. G. Mason-Jones A. Pham D. T. Wang J. Finite element analysis of a valve stem seal SAE Technical Paper 98058, International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-26 1998 59 65
- Pham D. T. Wang J. Fern A. G. Mason-Jones A. 1999 Further Finite Element Analysis of Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals SAE Technical Paper series international Congress & Exposition Cobo Hall Detroit, Michigan