This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Operational Road Tests of Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1977 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study has been carried out to evaluate the fuel economy performance of retrofit aerodynamic drag reduction devices for straight trucks and semi-trailers. Carefully controlled road tests were conducted along with a survey of Canadian fleet experience. Data from the road tests was compared with fuel savings based on scale model drag coefficients measured in a wind tunnel.
The results indicate that, although the device performance is affected significantly by ambient winds, truckers can expect fuel savings of the order of 1 3/4 gallons/100 miles for straight trucks and 1 1/4 gallons* per 100 miles for semi-trailers, at a cruising speed of 55 mph.
CitationDavis, W., Eryou, N., and Patry, J., "Operational Road Tests of Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices," SAE Technical Paper 770690, 1977, https://doi.org/10.4271/770690.
- Davis, Eryou & Associates Ltd. “An Experimental Evaluation of Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices 1 2 Transport Canada Working Paper No. TP 825 March 1977
- “An Evaluation of the Fuel Conservation Potential of Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices” The Aerospace Corp. Report No. ATR-76 (7390) - 1
- Lissaman P.B.S. “Research in Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of Trucks” Aeroenvironmental Inc. Report No. AVTP 526
- Marks C.M. Buckley F.T. Walston W. H. “An Evaluation of the Aerodynamic Drag Reductions Produced by Various Cab Roof Fairings and a Gap Seal on Tractor-Trailer Trucks” SAE Paper No. 760105
- Walston W.H. Buckley F.T. Marks C.M. “Test Procedures for the Evaluation of Aerodynamic Drag on Full Scale Vehicles in Windy Environments” SAE Paper No. 760106
- Holmes H. R. “Practical Economic Aspects of Tractor/Trailer Aerodynamics” SAE Paper No. 760103
- Cooper K.R. “A Wind Tunnel Investigation into the Fuel Savings Available from the Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of Trucks” DME/NAE Quarterly Bulletin No. 1976 3
- “The DOT/SAE Truck and Bus Fuel Economy Measurement Conference Report” SAE Publication P-50
- Cummins Engine Company Inc. “Cummins Guide to LCPM” Bulletin No. 3382021