This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Study of a Production Tractor Trailer Combination using Simulation and Wind Tunnel Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The importance of fuel economy and emission standards has increased rapidly with high fuel costs and new environmental regulations. This requires analysis techniques capable of designing the next generation long-haul truck to improve both fuel efficiency and cooling. In particular, it is important to have a predictive design tool to assess how exterior design changes impact aerodynamic performance. This study evaluates the use of a Lattice Boltzmann based numerical simulation and the National Research Council (NRC) Canada's wind tunnel to assess aerodynamic drag on a production Volvo VNL tractor-trailer combination.
Comparisons are made between the wind tunnel and simulation to understand the influence of wind tunnel conditions on truck aerodynamic performance. The production VNL testing includes a full range of yaw angles to demonstrate the influence of cross wind on aerodynamic drag. Results are also presented for the same production truck in a simulated open road environment to highlight the influence of wind tunnel conditions on aerodynamic drag predictions.
The effects of moving ground and rotating tires are shown to have an influence on the truck's aerodynamics. A half-scale test model is used to study this influence by investigating static ground and moving ground conditions. Comparisons are also made back to the production truck to illustrate the impacts of model scale and geometrical detail on aerodynamic performance.
CitationHeinecke, M., Beedy, J., Horrigan, K., and Sengupta, R., "Aerodynamic Study of a Production Tractor Trailer Combination using Simulation and Wind Tunnel Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2040, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2040.
- Leuschen, J Cooper, K.R. “Full Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor-Trailers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3456
- Schoon, R. Pan, F.R “Practical Devices for Heavy Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1781 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1781
- Storms, B.L. Ross, J.C. “Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of the Underbody of a Class-8 Tractor-Trailer,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3532 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3532
- Grover, K. Visser, K.D. “Over-the-Road Tests of Sealed Aft Cavities on Tractor Trailers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3529 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3529
- Cary, W.K. III Landman, D. Wood, R.M. “Experimental Investigation of Wake Boards for Drag Reduction on an Ahmed Body,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3530 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3530
- Storms, B.L. Satran, D.R. Heineck, J.T. Walker, S.M. “A Summary of the Experimental Results or a Generic Tractor-Trailer in the Ames Research Center 7-by-10-Foot and 12-Foot Wind Tunnels” NASA/TM-2006-213489 Ames Research Center Moffett Field, CA 2006
- Horrigan, K. Duncan, B. Keating, A. Gupta, A. Gargoloff, J. “Aerodynamic Simulations of a Generic Tractor-Trailer: Validation and Analysis of Unsteady Aerodynamics,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2612 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2612
- Horrigan, K. Duncan, B. Sivakumar, P. Gupta, A. Wong, A. “Aerodynamic Simulations of a Class 8 Heavy Truck: Comparison to Wind Tunnel Results and Investigation of Blockage Influences,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4295 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4295
- Li, Y. Shock, R. Zhang, R. Chen, H. “Numerical Study of Flow Past an Impulsively Started Cylinder by Lattice Boltzmann Method Journal of Fluid Mechanics 519 273 300 2004
- Chen, H. Teixeira, C. Molvig, K. “Realization of Fluid Boundary Conditions via Discrete Boltzmann Dynamics” International Journal of Modern Physics C. 9 1281 1999
- Yakhot, V Chen, H Staroselsky, I Qian, Y Shock, R Kandasamy, S Zhang, R Mallick, S Alexander, C “A New Approach to Modeling Strongly Non-Equilibrium, Time-Dependent Turbulent Flows” Exa Corp. 2001
- Larose, G. Tanguay, B. Van Every, D. Bender, T. “The New Boundary Layer Control System for NRC's 9m × 9m Wind Tunnel” AIAA Technical Paper, AIAA-2001-0455 2001
- “SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses.” SAE Recommended Practice July 1981 SAE J1252 JUL 81
- “Closed-Test-Section Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles” Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1996