This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cadaver Femur Responses to Longitudinal Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1975 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results from longitudinal impact tests on the knees of nine seated cadavers are reported. Typical impact velocities, impact force histories and femur strain histories are presented. The importance of femur bending is revealed by strain readings on the medial, lateral, anterior and posterior surfaces. The effects of impactor padding, leg tissue and oblique impacts are illustrated. The average fracture force level was found to be 10.04 kN and the impact energy to be 549J. The fracture patterns and possible mechanisms are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Impact Response and Tolerance of the Lower Extremities|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Femur Response to Longitudinal Impact|
|Technical Paper||Considerations for a Femur Injury Criterion|
CitationPowell, W., Ojala, S., Advani, S., and Martin, R., "Cadaver Femur Responses to Longitudinal Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 751160, 1975, https://doi.org/10.4271/751160.
- Yamada H. “Strength of Biological Materials.” Huntington, N. Y. Robert E. Kriejer Publishing Co. 1973
- Currey J. D. “The Mechanical Properties of Bone.” Clinical Orthopedics 73 1970 210 231
- McElhaney J. Byars E. F. “Dynamic Response of Biological Materials.” Paper 65-WA/HUF-9 ASME Winder Annual Meeting Chicago November 1965
- Saha S. Hayes W. “Instrumented Tensile-Impact Tests of Bone.” Paper 2204A Society of Experimental Stress Analysis Meeting Los Angeles May 1973
- Patrick L. M. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes.” Proceedings of the Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference Minneapolis Nolte Center for Continuing Education, University of Minnesota 1966 237 259
- Cooke F. W. Nagel D. A. “Combined Medical Engineering Study of Injury and Damage to the Knee Joint in Impact.” Franklin Institute Research Laboratories National Highway Safety Bureau June 30 1969
- Powell W. R. Advani S. H. Clark R. N. Ojala S. J. Holt D. J. “Investigation of Femur Response to Longitudinal Impact.” Proceedings of the Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, University of Michigan 1974 539 556
- Powell W. R. Advani S. H. “Strain Gaging Technique for Bones in Intact Cadavers.” Committee Reports & Technical Session Papers, International Ad Hoc Committee Meeting on Human Subjects for Biomechanical Research Ann Arbor 1974
- Wilfert K. Voight G. “Mechanisms of Injuries to Unrestrained Front Seat Passengers and Their Prevention by Progressive Instrument Panel Design.” Paper 710 Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 39 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1972
- Kulowski J. “Interconnected Motorist Injuries of the Hip, Femoral Shaft and Knee.” The Fifth Stapp Automotive Crash and Field Demonstration Conference Minneapolis Nolte Center for Continuing Education, University of Minnesota 1962 105 124
- King J. J. Fan W.R.S. Vargovick R. J. “Femur Load Injury Criteria - A Realistic Approach.” Paper 730984 Proceedings of Seventeenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 51 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1973