This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Patterns of Automobile Crash Damage
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An analysis of 15,000 repair estimates written nationwide on 1973 model passenger cars has been completed by State Farm Mutual Auto Insurance Co. Among the findings presented in this paper are the distribution of impact points around the car, distribution of repair cost, repair and replacement frequencies of certain components, and an analysis of repair cost spending by component assembly.
A procedure is described which will monitor the crash damage sustained by new cars through the systematic collection and analysis of insurance company damage repair estimates. In the future, performance comparisons of various model year vehicles will be possible.
The availability and limitations of other insurance industry data sources are also discussed.
CitationSorenson, W., Gardner, R., and Casassa, J., "Patterns of Automobile Crash Damage," SAE Technical Paper 740065, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740065.
- “Automobile Insurance Losses, Collision Coverages, Variations by Make and Series, 1972 Models.” Research Report R72-1 Highway Loss Data Institute Washington, D.C. June 1973
- “Automobile Insurance Losses, Collision Coverages, Initial Results for 1973 Models Compared with 1972 Models.” Research Report R73-1 Highway Loss Data Institute Washington, D.C. September 1973
- Casassa James O'Neill Brian Miller Irvin Stone Sandra “A Survey of Unrepaired Automobile Crash Damage. I, 1968-1972 Models.” Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Washington, D.C. August 1973
- “Vehicle Accident Damage Survey, January through December 1970.” Product Development, Car Research Ford Motor Co. April 1972
- O'Neill Brian Wells W. T. “Some Recent Results in Lognormal Parameter Estimation Using Grouped and Ungrouped Data.” Journal of American Statistical Assn. 67 March 1972 76 80
- “Crash Damage to Automobiles, An Insurance Research Study.” Allstate Insurance Co. Kemper Insurance Cos. Liberty Mutual Insurance Cos. State Farm Mutual Insurance Co. American Mutual Insurance Alliance October 1972
- McHugh D. P. State Farm Ins. Co. Statement before Dept. of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. Sept. 13 1973