This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Equations for a Speed and Torque Controlled Variable Ratio V-Belt Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A type of V-belt drive which shifts ratios in accordance with input speed and output torque has been successfully employed as the transmission for vehicles ranging from snowmobiles to compact automobiles. Increasing popularity of this kind of transmission has created the need for more reliable criteria to be used in its design. This paper presents a derivation of design equations for a symmetrical V-belt drive in which centrifugal control is governed by an expanding garter spring and torque control results from a helical cam. Experimental results are included which support the validity of these equations.
|Technical Paper||Designing Adjustable-Speed V-Belt Drives for Farm Implements|
|Technical Paper||Torque Sensing Variable Speed V-Belt Drive|
|Technical Paper||The Development of a High-Performance Snowmobile Variable Speed Belt|
CitationOliver, L., Hornung, K., Swenson, J., and Shapiro, H., "Design Equations for a Speed and Torque Controlled Variable Ratio V-Belt Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 730003, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730003.
- Ludoph H. H. J. “Stepless Automatic Transmission for Cars.” SAE of Japan Inc. Japan 1964
- Worley W. S. “Designing Adjustable-Speed V-Belt Drives for Farm Implements.” SAE Transactions 63 1955 321 333
- Oliver L. R. “Steady-State Force Analysis of a Variable Speed Drive with Torque Sensing Driven and Centrifugal Sensing Driver Sheaves.” Dayco Report June 1969
- Hornung K. G. “Factors Influencing the Fatigue Characteristics of Rubber-Textile Machine Elements.” The Ohio State University 1959
- Swenson J. E. “Performance of Torque and Speed Controlled Variable Speed V-Belt Drives.” Mech. Engrg. Dept., The Ohio State University 1972
- Oliver L. R. Hornung K. G. Shapiro H. N. “An Automatic V-Belt Transmission With an Asymmetrical Belt.” Paper 72-WA/DE-10 ASME Winter Annual Meeting New York November 1972
- Oliver L. R. Henderson D. D. “Torque Sensing Variable Speed V-Belt Drive.” Paper 720708 SAE Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting Milwaukee September 1972