This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Performance of Laminated Glass Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Full scale laboratory studies using curved laminated safety glass windshields, a horizontal accelerator, and a 50th percentile dummy to provide impact performance are presented. Lacerative damage based on moist chamois face covering and Severity Indices for annealed glass windshield configurations were obtained on the current domestic automobile windshield, experimental thin annealed glass windshields in symmetrical and asymmetrical glass configurations, and windshields with 0.045 in. HPR interlayer.
Symmetrical thin glass windshields, such as, 0.050 in glass, gave excellent performance to 38 mph. Lacerative damage decreases as the inboard glass thickness decreases for windshields having 0.030 in. HPR interlayer and 1/8 in. float glass outboard ply. Windshields with 0.045 in. HPR interlayer, designed to improve penetration resistance, have somewhat higher Severity Indices. Such windshields will require further study.
CitationRieser, R. and Chabal, J., "Safety Performance of Laminated Glass Structures," SAE Technical Paper 700481, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700481.
- Siegel A. W. Nahum A. M. “Automobile Collision and the Effect of the New U.S.A. Standards.” Proceedings of the Conference on Road Safety Brussels, Belgium 1968
- Huelke D. F. Grabb W. C. Dingman R. O. “Automobile Occupant Injuries from Striking the Windshield.” Highway Safety Research Institute, The University of Michigan 1967
- Rieser R. G. Chabal J. “Safety Performance of Laminated Glass Configurations.” Proceedings of Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference 1967 670912 New York SAE 1967
- Rieser R. G. Chabal J. “Laboratory Studies on Laminated Safety Glass and Installations on Performance.” Proceedings of Thirteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1969 690799 New York SAE 1969
- Danforth J. P. Gadd C. W. “Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard.” Proceedings of Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1966 660793 New York SAE 1966