This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Crankcase Volume and the Inlet System on the Delivery Ratio of Two-Stroke Cycle Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing the air charge of crankcase scavenged two-stroke cycle engines is essential for improved performance. Accordingly, the crankcase volume and dimensions of the inlet system were experimentally investigated in order to fully utilize the dynamic effect of both the exhaust and inlet systems with a view towards increasing the delivery ratio. To achieve full utilization of the effect of the inlet system, it was found that the time-area of the inlet port should be far larger than that considered for the usual engine. The drop in delivery ratio caused by increasing the crankcase volume can be fairly well compensated for by tuning the exhaust and inlet systems.
|Technical Paper||Large Amplitude Wave Propagation in Exhaust Systems of Two-Stroke Engines|
|Technical Paper||Design and Initial Development of a High Specific Output 500 CC Single-Cylinder, Two-Stroke, Racing Motorcycle Engine|
CitationNagao, F. and Shimamoto, Y., "The Effect of Crankcase Volume and the Inlet System on the Delivery Ratio of Two-Stroke Cycle Engines," SAE Technical Paper 670030, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670030.
- Klüsener O. Schröder W. “Versuche an Zweitaktmaschinen mit Kurbelkastenspiilung.” MTZ, Jahrg. 13 March 1952 55 60
- Asanuma T. Sawa N. “On the Effects of Length of an Intake Pipe on the Delivery Ratio in a Small Two-Stroke Cycle Engine.” Bulletin JSME 3 9 1960 137 142
- Miyabe H. Shimomura T. “Influences of the Induction and Exhaust Pipe Lengths on the Scavenge Performance of a Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine.” Trans. JSME 31 222 February 1965 308 316
- Miyake M. Mitani A. “Studies in the Inlet and Exhaust Systems of Small Two-Cycle Engines.” Shin Mitsubishi Juko Engineering Reports 5 3 1963 264 273
- Seyfert H. “Beeinflussbarkeit des Ladungswechsels an Einzylinder-Zweitaktmotoren durch die Abgasanlage.” Kraftfahrzeugtechnik, Jahrg. 15 April 1965 127 132
- Hülsse W. “Leistungssteigerung bei Zweitakt-Schnel-läufern.” MTZ, Jahrg. 20 August 1959 293 298
- Naito H. Taguchi M. “Some Development Aspects of Two-Stroke Cycle Motorcycle Engines.” Paper 160394 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, June 1966
- Wallace F. J. Nassif M. H. “Air Flow in a Naturally Aspirated Two-Stroke Engine.” Proc. I. Mech. E. 168 1954 515 535
- Jenny E. “Unidimensional Transient Flow with Consideration of Friction, Heat Transfer, and Change of Section.” Brown Boveri Review 37 November 1950 447 461
- Taylor C. F. Taylor E. S. “The Internal Combustion Engine.” International Textbook Co. 1st ed. 1938
- Taylor C. F. “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice.” Vol. I Cambridge, Mass. Technology Press, M.I.T. 1960