This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Large Amplitude Wave Propagation in Exhaust Systems of Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1978 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National West Coast Meeting
The characteristics of large amplitude wave propagation in variable area ducts were investigated in order to gain a more thorough understanding of exhaust systems for power tuned two-stroke engines. An apparatus to simulate the power stroke of a two-stroke motorcycle engine was developed, using a stock Yamaha 360 MX barrel, cylinder head, piston and ring. In this way, a single pulse of pressurized air could be introduced into virtually any duct geometry. An ocilloscope trace of the subsequent exhaust pulse and duct interaction was photographed. The resulting pressure-time histories were used to experimentally evaluate the effects of several duct terminations on the shape and timing of the reflected wave. The investigation resulted in quantifying the effects of an orifice plate and converging cone termination and in determining the best termination for a Yamaha 360 MX engine.
|Technical Paper||Investigation and Tuning of the Exhaust System of Small Two-Stroke Cycle Engines|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Exhaust Dynamic Effect of Two-Stroke Motorcycle Petrol Engine|
CitationMurphy, M. and Margolis, D., "Large Amplitude Wave Propagation in Exhaust Systems of Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 780708, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780708.
- Huelsse W. A. “Investigation and Tuning of the Exhaust System of Small Two Stroke Engines,” Paper 680469 SAE Journal 1968
- Naitoh H. Nomura K. “Some New Developmental Aspects of 2-Stroke Cycle Motorcycle Engines,” Paper 710024, SAE
- Blair G. P. Johnston M. B. “Simplified Design Criteria for Expansion Chambers for Two-Cycle Gasoline Engines,” Paper 700123 , SAE
- Blair G. P. Johnston M. B. “Unsteady Flow Effects in Exhaust Systems of Naturally Aspirated, Crankcase Compression Two-Cycle Internal Combustion Engines,” Paper 680594 , SAE
- Kinsler L. E. Frey A. R. “Fundamentals of Acoustics,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc New York 1962
- Shapiro A. H. “The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow,” Ronald Press Company New York 1954
- John E. A. “Gas Dynamics,” Allyn & Bacon, Inc. Boston 1969
- Murphy M. J. “Large Amplitude Wave Propagation in Variable Area Ducts,” Mechanical Engineering Department, University of California Davis June 1975