This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Temperature Limitations of Petroleum, Synthetic, and Other Lubricants in Rolling-Contact Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1955 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
STUDIES of 20-mm-bore tool-steel ball bearings operated at 2500 rpm and lubricated with graphite, or molybdenum disulfide-air mist, or one of several liquids (both petroleum and synthetic types) are reported in this paper.
Effective lubrication at 1000 F with graphite, at 850 F with molybdenum disulfide, and at 700 F with a synthetic diester was obtained.
A second investigation of the effectiveness of molybdenum disulfide-air mist as a lubricant for high-speed roller bearings is also reported here. Successful operation of a 75-mm-bore cageless roller bearing at a DN of 0.975 × 106 (13,000 rpm) with no external heat added was obtained.
CitationNemeth, Z. and Anderson, W., "Temperature Limitations of Petroleum, Synthetic, and Other Lubricants in Rolling-Contact Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 550275, 1955, https://doi.org/10.4271/550275.
- NACA EM 51D20 1951 “NACA Subcommittee on Lubrication and Wear: Review of Current and Anticipated Lubricant Problems in Turbojet Engines.”
- NACA TN 3110 April 1954 “SAE Panel on High-Speed Rolling-Contact Bearings: Trends of Rolling-Contact Bearings as Applied to Aircraft Gas Turbine Engines.”
- NACA TN 2940 1953 “Effect of High Bulk Temperatures on Boundary Lubrication of Steel Surfaces by Synthetic Fluids,” Murray S. F. Johnson Robert L. Bisson Edmond E.
- NACA RM E51G31 October 1951 “Preliminary Investigation of Molybdenum Disulfide-Air Mist Lubrication for Roller Bearings Operating to DN Values of 1 × 10 e and Ball Bearings Operating to Temperatures of 1000F,” Macks E. F. Nemeth Z. N. Anderson W. J.
- NACA TN 3337 January 1955 “Investigation of Temperature Limitation of Various Lubricants for High-Temperature 20-Mm-Bore Ball Bearings,” Nemeth Z. N. Anderson W. J.
- NACA TN 2128 July 1950 “Investigation of 75-Mm-Bore Cylindrical-Roller Bearings at High Speeds. I - Initial Studies,” Macks E. F. Nemeth Z. N.
- NACA TN 1578 1948 “Friction of Solid Films on Steels at High Sliding Velocities,” Johnson Robert L. Godfrey Douglas Bisson Edmond E.
- Metal Progress, Vol. 50 August 1946 314 “Molybdenite as Die Lubricant,” Norman T. E.
- NACA TN 1882 1949 “Oxidation Characteristics of Molybdenum Disulfide and Effect of Such Oxidation on Its Role as Solid Film Lubricant,” Godfrey Douglas Nelson Erva C.