This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Iron and Manganese on the Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of a Recycled EN AC-43200 Aluminium-Silicon Alloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work investigates the effect of different Iron and Manganese contents in ad-hoc cast specimens made from recycled EN AC-43200 alloy. Tensile tests and metallographic analyses coupled with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy measurements are carried out to elucidate the interplay between the microstructure and the quasi-static properties of the Aluminium-Silicon alloy under investigation. A strong correlation between the composition and morphology of Fe/Mn -based intermetallic precipitates and tensile properties is demonstrated. Moreover, it is found that specific intermetallic phases are present only for certain, relative and/or absolute contents of Fe and Mn.
CitationPavesi, A., Casari, D., Mancini, A., Bonfanti, A. et al., "Influence of Iron and Manganese on the Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of a Recycled EN AC-43200 Aluminium-Silicon Alloy," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1880, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-1880.
- Ibrahim , N. , Cox , S. , Mills , R. , Aftelak , A. et al. Multi-Objective Decision-Making Methods for Optimising CO 2 Decisions in the Automotive Industry Journal of Cleaner Production 314 2021 128037 10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.128037
- Piotr Bielaczyc , P. and Woodburn , J. Trends in Automotive Emission Legislation: Impact on LD Engine Development, Fuels, Lubricants and Test Methods: a Global View, with a Focus on WLTP and RDE Regulations Emission Control Science and Technology 5 2019 86 98 10.1007/s40825-019-0112-3
- Farjana , S.H. , Huda , N. , and Mahmud , M.P. Impacts of Aluminum Production: A Cradle to Gate Investigation Using Life-Cycle Assessment Science of The Total Environment 663 2019 958 970 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.01.400
- Brough , D. and Jouhara , H. The Aluminium Industry: A Review on State-of-the-Art Technologies, Environmental Impacts and Possibilities for Waste Heat Recovery International Journal of Thermofluids 1 2020 100007 10.1016/j.ijft.2019.100007
- Pavesi , A. , Bandiera , M. , Mancini , A. , Tsyupa , B. et al. Effect of Anodizing on High Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of Cat AlSi8Mg-T6 Alloy International Journal of Fatigue 176 2023 107836 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2023.107836
- Mbuya , T.O. , Odera , B.O. , and Ng'ang'a , S.P. Influence of Iron on Castability and Properties of Aluminium Silicon Alloys: Literature Review International Journal of Cast Metals Research 16 5 2003 451 465 10.1080/13640461.2003.11819622
- Taylor , J.A. Iron-Containing Intermetallic Phases in Al-Si Based Casting Alloys Procedia Materials Science 1 2012 19 33 10.1016/j.mspro.2012.06.004
- Lu , L. and Dahle , A.K. Iron-Rich Intermetallic Phases and Their Role in Casting Defect Formation in Hypoeutectic Al-Si Alloys Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 36 2005 819 835 10.1007/s11661-005-0196-y
- Cinkilic , E. , Ridgeway , C.D. , Yan , X. , and Luo , A.A. A Formation Map of Iron-Containing Intermetallic Phases in Recycled Cast Aluminum Alloys Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 50 2019 5945 5956 10.1007/s11661-019-05469-6
- Becker , H. , Bergh , T. , Vullum , P.E. , Leineweber , A. et al. Effect of Mn and Cooling Rates on α-, β-and δ-Al–Fe–Si Intermetallic Phase Formation in a Secondary Al–Si Alloy Materialia 5 2019 100198 10.1016/j.mtla.2018.100198
- Aluminium Products 2021
- Aluminum Alloy Ingots and Castings 2020
- Mechanical Testing of Metals 2019
- Vandersluis , E. and Ravindran , C. Comparison of Measurement Methods for Secondary Dendrite Arm Spacing Metallography, Microstructure, and Analysis 6 2017 89 94 10.1007/s13632-016-0331-8
- Mathew , J. , Remy , G. , Williams , M.A. , Tang , F. et al. Effect of Fe Intermetallics on Microstructure and Properties of Al-7Si Alloys JOM 71 2019 4362 4369 10.1007/s11837-019-03444-5