Development of the Atmospheric Icing Patch (AIP) under the SENS4ICE Programme
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The European Union’s Horizon 2020 programme has funded the SENS4ICE (Sensors for Certifiable Hybrid Architectures for Safer Aviation in Icing Environment) international collaboration flagship programme. Under this programme a number of different organizations have developed ice detection technologies, specifically aimed at providing information to differentiate between ‘classical’ Appendix C icing conditions and the larger droplets found in Appendix O icing. As a partner within the SENS4ICE project, AeroTex UK has developed an ice detection concept called the Atmospheric Icing Patch (AIP). The sensor utilizes a network of iso-thermal sensors to detect icing and differentiate between small and large droplet icing conditions. This paper discusses the development of the sensor technology with a focus on the outcomes of the flight testing performed on the Embraer Phenom 300 platform during early 2023.
The work in the programme is built on previous studies performed by AeroTex UK into a probe-based sensor that operates using the same approach. The patch approach was finally adopted as it minimizes heat losses and therefore draws significantly less power than the equivalent probe system. It is better suited to the detection and differentiation of small and large droplet conditions through the application of an array of patches. The aircraft plays a key role in the sensor function as the fuselage is used to inertially separate the droplets allowing some patches to be located where only large droplets would impinge whilst others are in locations where droplets of all sizes impinge. The fuselage installation means that variability in sensor response with angle-of-attack and sideslip is negligible compared to a lifting surface installation.
The testing conducted by Embraer on the Phenom 300 successfully demonstrated the system capabilities through the detection of icing conditions and differentiation between small and large droplet distributions. The sensor system also demonstrated the ability to estimate the Liquid Water Content (LWC), but further work is required to improve this correlation.
CitationRoberts, I., Gent, R., Hatch, C., and Moser, R., "Development of the Atmospheric Icing Patch (AIP) under the SENS4ICE Programme," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1488, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-1488.
- European Aviation Safety Agency 2018
- Federal Aviation Administration
- National Transportation Safety Board 1996
- Federal Aviation Administration 2015
- Schwarz , C. , Ohme , P. , and Deiler , C. The SENS4ICE EU project - SENSors and certifiable hybrid architectures for safer aviation in ICing Environment SAE Icing Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures 2019 Minneapolis, MN, USA 2019
- EUROCAE WG-95 - In-Flight Ice Detection Systems 2022
- AC-9C Aircraft Icing Technology Committee 2022
- Schwarz , C. The SENS4ICE EU Project - SENSors and Certifiable Hybrid Architectures for Safer Aviation in ICing Environment - Project Overview and Initial Results International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS) Stockholm, Sweden 2022
- Anderson , K. and Ray , M. SLD and Ice Crystal Discrimination with the Optical Ice Detector SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1934 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1934
- Freer , M. , Baumgardner , D. , and Axisa , D. 2017
- Del Val , M.G. , Nogués , J.M. , Gallego , P.G. , and Frövel , M. Icing Condition Predictions Using FBGS Sensors 21 2021 6053 10.3390/s21186053
- Pohl , M. A Lamb Wave-Based Icing Sensor for Aircraft Ice Detection Proceedings – International Workshop on Atmospheric Icing of Structures - IWAIS 2022 Montreal, Canada 2022
- Ridouane , E.H. and Botura , G. Collins Ice Differentiator Sensor SENS4ICE 1st Project Symposium co-hosted by SAE AC-9C Aircraft Icing Technology Committee Meeting 2021 https://www.sens4ice-project.eu/sites/sens4ice/files/media/2021-11/SENS4ICE_SAE_AC-9C_Meeting_Collins-IDS_Collins%20Aerospace_October%202021.pdf
- Roberts , I. AIP - Atmospheric Icing Patches - A Distributed System for Ice Detection SENS4ICE 1st Project Symposium co-hosted by SAE AC-9C Aircraft Icing Technology Committee Meeting 2021 https://www.sens4ice-project.eu/sites/sens4ice/files/media/2020-10/SENS4ICE_SAE_Symposium_Atmospheric%20Icing%20Patches_ATX_20201022.pdf
- AC-9C Aircraft Icing Technology Committee 2022
- Gent , R.W. , Dart , N.P. , Cansdale , J.T. Aircraft Icing Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 358 2873 2911 2000
- Hospers , J. and Hoeijmakers , H. Numerical Simulation of SLD Ice Accretions SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0071 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0071
- Wagner , G. , Ott , P. , Vogel , G. , and Naik , S. Leading Edge Film Cooling and the Influence of Fan Shaped Holes at Design and Off-Design Conditions ASME Turbo Expo 2007: Power for Land, Sea, and Air 2007