This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Track, GoPro, and Prescan Testing of an ADAS Camera
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to validate the operation of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), tests must be performed that assess the performance of the system in response to different scenarios. Some of these systems are designed for crash-imminent situations, and safely testing them requires large stretches of controlled pavement, expensive surrogate targets, and a fully functional vehicle. As a possible more-manageable alternative to testing the full vehicle in these situations, this study sought to explore whether these systems could be isolated, and tests could be performed on a bench via a hardware-in-the-loop methodology. For camera systems, these benches are called Camera-in-the-Loop (CiL) systems and involve presenting visual stimuli to the device via an external input. In this work, the Mobileye 630 aftermarket monocular camera system was tested across three environments – track based (real life) testing, GoPro CiL bench (recorded real life) testing, and Prescan CiL bench (simulated life) testing. A comparison of the Mobileye outputs was performed to test the response of the camera between the different mediums. Of the two CiL input types, the Prescan environment was found to have the best agreement with the track behavior. While there is potential for both future use and development of CiL testing methodologies, at this time, there are differences which could limit both the applicability and accuracy of the results generated in the bench testing environments, and further exploration is recommended. These differences include reduced detection and FCW distances and variation in response to the same visual input.
CitationBartholomew, M., Midlam-Mohler, S., Guenther, D., Heydinger, G. et al., "Track, GoPro, and Prescan Testing of an ADAS Camera," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0826, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0826.
- Mobileye Technical Staff 2016
- Comma.ai contributors 2020 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/commaai/opendbc/master/cadillac_ct6_powertrain.dbc
- 4active Systems 2021 https://www.4activesystems.at/4activeps
- DRI Advanced Test Systems 2017 http://www.dri-ats.com/soft-car-360/
- AutonomouStuff 2017
- ON Semiconductor 2015
- Dagan , E. , Mano , O. , Stein , G. , and Shashua , A. Forward Collision Warning with a Single Camera 2004 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium IEEE Xplore
- Euro NCAP April 2021
- Nandi , K. Range, Interquartile Range, and Box Plot makemeanalyst.com 2018 http://makemeanalyst.com/explore-your-data-range-interquartile-range-and-box-plot/
- Siemens Sept. 2020
- Hollows , G. and James , N. edmundoptics.com 2022 https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowledge-center/application-notes/imaging/understanding-focal-length-and-field-of-view/
- Bartholomew , M. 2022
- Bartholomew , M. 2022