This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Construction of Driver Models for Overtaking Behavior Using LSTM
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study aimed to construct driver models for overtaking behavior using long short-term memory (LSTM). During the overtaking maneuver, an ego vehicle changes lanes to the overtaking lane while paying attention to both the preceding vehicle in the travel lane and the following vehicle in the overtaking lane and returns to the travel lane after overtaking the preceding vehicle in the travel lane. This scenario was segregated into four phases in this study: Car-Following, Lane-Change-1, Overtaking, and Lane-Change-2. In the Car-Following phase, the ego vehicle follows the preceding vehicle in the travel lane. Meanwhile, in the Lane-Change-1 phase, the ego vehicle changes from the travel lane to the overtaking lane. Overtaking is the phase in which the ego vehicle in the overtaking lane overtakes the preceding vehicle in the travel lane. Lane-Change-2 is the phase in which the ego vehicle changes lanes from the overtaking lane to the travel lane after overtaking the preceding vehicle in the travel lane. We analyzed and evaluated the accuracy of the models for the entire experimental scenario and for each model of Lane-Change-1, Overtaking and Lane-Change-2. The constructed models were also evaluated for safety in lane-change situations based on the WP.29 steering equipment regulation of the UNECE, which was defined as Scritical in the Automatically Commanded Steering Function (ACSF) Category C of R79 in WP.29 of UNECE. In the results, the Lane-Change-2 model was identified to be the most accurate of the four phases and the model accuracy was found to be due to epochs and learning rate. All the constructed models satisfied the WP.29 regulation of UNECE. The constructed models which reflected individual characteristics are expected to be applied to ADAS and automated driving technology that conduct overtaking maneuvers.
CitationBaba, T., Oikawa, S., and Hirose, T., "Construction of Driver Models for Overtaking Behavior Using LSTM," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0794, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0794.
- Ozasa , K. , Sugawara , H. , Ishii , A. , Xing , J. et al. 2019
- Taniguchi , Y. , Degawa , K. , Tokunaga , S. , Umino , T. et al. ProPILOT 2.0 of New Nissan Skyline Nissan Technical Review No. 86 2020 44 50
- Hasenjäger , M. , Heckmann , M. , and Wersing , H. A Survey of Personalization for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 5 2 June 2020 335 344
- Wang , W. , Zhao , D. , Han , W. , and Xi , J. A Learning-Based Approach for Lane Departure Warning Systems with a Personalized Driver Model IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 67 10 2018 9145 9157
- Kageyama , Y.W. On a Modelling for Man-Machine System with Neural Network Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C 59 563 1993 2213 2218
- Dou , Y. , Yan , F. , and Feng , D. Lane Changing Prediction at Highway Lane Drops Using Support Vector Machine and Artificial Neural Network Classifiers IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) 2016 2016 901 906
- Lin , Y. , Tang , P. , and Yu , Q. 2004
- Dogan , U. , Edelbrunner , H. , and Iossifidis , I. Towards a Driver Model: Preliminary Study of Lane Change Behavior 11th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2008
- Long , Y. , Huang , J. , Zhao , X. , and Li , Z. Does LSTM Outperform 4DDTW-KNN in Lane Change Identification Based on Eye Gaze Data? Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 137 2022
- Yan , Z. , Yang , K. , Wang , Z. , Yang , B. et al. Time to Lane Change and Completion Prediction Based on Gated Recurrent Unit Network IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2019 2019 102 107
- Khairdoost , N. , Shirpour , M. , Bauer , M.A. , and Beauchemin , S.S. Real-Time Driver Maneuver Prediction Using LSTM IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 5 4 2020 714 724
- Mo , X. , Xing , Y. , and Lv , C. Interaction-Aware Trajectory Prediction of Connected Vehicles using CNN-LSTM Networks 2020 The 46th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society 2020
- Liu , T. , Deng , Z. , Tang , X. , Wang , H. et al. Predictive Freeway Overtaking Strategy for Automated Vehicles Using Deep Reinforcement Learning 3rd Conference on Vehicle Control and Intelligence (CVCI) 2019
- UN ECE: E/ECE/TRANS/505/Rev. 1/Addendum 78-UN Regulation No. 79 Revision 4 2018
- Kojima , T. and Iwase , T. Experimental Study of Safety of a Lane Change during Execution of Minimum Risk Manoeuvre Transactions of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 53 2 2022