This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Ceramic EHC
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, electrically heated catalysts (EHCs) have been developed to achieve lower emissions. In several EHC heating methods, the direct heating method, which an electric current is applied directly to the catalyst substrate, can easily activate the catalyst before engine start-up. The research results reported on the use of the direct heating EHC to achieve significant exhaust gas purification during cold start-up . From the perspective of catalyst loading, ceramics is considered to be a better material for the substrate than metal due to the difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between the catalyst and the substrate, but the EHC made of ceramics has difficulties such as controllability of the current distribution, durability and reliability of the connection between the substrate and the electrodes. This paper reports about the hardware configuration of the direct heating EHC made of ceramics, including the catalytic substrate as an electric circuit, its electrode, and the insulation structure between pipe and them, which can solve these difficulties.
CitationSadamitsu, T., Oki, T., Korenaga, S., Hirooka, S. et al., "Development of a Ceramic EHC," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0536, 2022.
- Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0575 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0575
- Kawaguchi , B. , Umemoto , K. , Misawa , S. , Hirooka , S. et al. ICE Vehicle Challenge toward Zero Emissions:Future Technology Harmonization in Electrified Powertrain System SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2217 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2217
- Pauer , T. , Weller , H. , Schünemann , E. , Walther , J. , et al. A Gasoline Powertrain with Negligible Influence on Air Quallity International Wienna Motor Symposium 2020
- Bargman , B. , Jang , S.H. , Kramer , J. , Soliman , I. et al. Effects of Electrically Preheating Catalysts on Reducing High-Power Cold-Start Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0572 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0572
- Leahey , N. , Crawford , R. , Douglas , J. , and Bauman , J. Induction Heating of Catalytic Converter Systems and its Effect on Diesel Exhaust Emissions During Cold Start SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0327 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0327
- Fukanuma , H. and Ohno , N. Influences of Substrate Roughness and Temperature on Adhesive Strength in Thermal Spray Coatings Proceedings of Thermal Spray 2003: Advancing the Science & Applying the Technology 2003
- Matsudaira , N. , Iwasaki , M. , Hara , J. , Furuhata , T. et al. Visualization of the Heat Transfer Surface of EGR Cooler to Examine Soot Adhesion and Abruption Phenomena SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0127 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0127