This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Cloud-Based Simulation and Testing Framework for Large-Scale EV Charging Energy Management and Charging Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The emerging need of building an efficient Electric Vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure requires the investigation of all aspects of Vehicle-Grid Integration (VGI), including the impact of EV charging on the grid, optimal EV charging control at scale, and communication interoperability. This paper presents a cloud-based simulation and testing platform for the development and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) testing of VGI technologies. Although the HIL testing of a single charging station has been widely performed, the HIL testing of spatially distributed EV charging stations and communication interoperability is limited. To fill this gap, the presented platform is developed that consists of multiple subsystems: a real-time power system simulator (OPAL-RT), ISO 15118 EV Charge Scheduler System (EVCSS), and a Smart Energy Plaza (SEP) with various types of charging stations, solar panels, and energy storage systems. The subsystems can communicate with each other via message queuing telemetry transport communication (MQTT) protocol. The OPAL-RT is used to perform grid simulation and optimal EV charging energy management at the distribution grid level. It communicates with node level EVCSS and the SEP to collect real-time charging data and send charging power commands. The OPAL-RT can also communicate with transmission level controllers to provide grid services, such as frequency regulation. The EVCSS manages regional EV charging to limit the effects of clustered EV charging on the distribution grid. It uses standardized communication protocols: Open Charge Point Protocol 2.0 for charging station networks and ISO 15118 between EVs and charging stations. The modular open systems design approach of the platform allows the integration of EV charging control algorithms and hardware charging systems for performance evaluation and interoperability testing. The experimental test results show that the communication links of the platform work properly, and the EV charging control algorithms can respond to transmission level grid service request with minimal impact on local operations.
CitationWu, Z., Manne, N., Harper, J., Chen, B. et al., "A Cloud-Based Simulation and Testing Framework for Large-Scale EV Charging Energy Management and Charging Control," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0169, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0169.
- Cao , C. , Wang , L. , and Chen , B. Mitigation of the Impact of High Plug-In Electric Vehicle Penetration on Residential Distribution Grid Using Smart Charging Strategies Energies 9 12 2016 1024 10.3390/en9121024
- Wu , Z. , Cao , C. , and Chen , B. Transactive Energy Based Approach for Large-Scale Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging Control 2019 IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC) 2019 10.1109/APPEEC45492.2019.8994497
- Cao , C. , Wu , Z. , and Chen , B. Electric Vehicle-Grid Integration with Voltage Regulation in Radial Distribution Networks Energies 13 7 1802 2020 10.3390/en13071802
- Wang , L. and Chen , B. Dual-Level Consensus-Based Frequency Regulation Using Vehicle-to-Grid Service Electric Power Systems Research 167 2019 261 276 0.1016/j.epsr.2018.10.022
- Jayawardana , I. , Ho , C.N. , and Zhang , Y. A Comprehensive Study and Validation of a Power-Hil Testbed for Evaluating Grid-Connected Ev Chargers IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics 2021 10.1109/JESTPE.2021.3093303
- Cao , C. , Chen , B. , and Harper , J.D. The Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation of Vehicle-Grid Integration in a Distribution Grid 2019 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM) 2019 10.1109/PESGM40551.2019.8973838
- IEEE Power Engineering Society http://sites.ieee.org/pes-testfeeders/resources/
- EERE https://openei.org/doe-opendata/dataset/commercial-and-residential-hourly-load-profiles-for-all-tmy3-locations-in-the-united-states
- Idaho National Laboratory https://avt.inl.gov/content/charging-system-testing/vehicle-charging-system-testing
- Zhang , R. , Xia , B. , Li , B. , Cao , L. et al. A Study on the Open Circuit Voltage and State of Charge Characterization of High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery under Different Temperature Energies 11 9 2018 2408 10.3390/en11092408
- Undrill , J. 2018 https://escholarship.org/uc/item/46122362