This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hot Corrosion Demeanour of Key-Hole Plasma Arc Welded Aerospace Grade Hastelloy X in Molten Salts Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The current work investigates the hot corrosion demeanour of Hastelloy X weldment produced with autogenous mode through key-hole plasma arc welding (K-PAW). The hot corrosion test has been performed for weldment in molten salt-1 (MS-1) (75 % Na2SO4 + 25 % V2O5) and molten salt-2 (MS-2) (75 % Na2SO4 + 20 % V2O5 + 5 % NaCl) circumstance for 25 hrs (25 cycles) at 900 °C. The MS-1 substrate of both base metal and weldment provided the lowest weight gain than the MS-2 substrate. The NaCl in the MS-2 causes severe hot corrosion on the substrate, whereas the absence of NaCl in MS-1 reduces the hot corrosion effects. The highest parabolic constant is observed for K-PAW weldment in MS-2 condition. The tendency of hot corrosion rate follows the order of, Base Metal MS-1 < K-PAW MS-1 < Base Metal MS-2 < K-PAW MS-2. The occurrence of protective phases like chromium oxides (Cr2O3), spinel oxides (NiCr2O4 and NiFe2O4) Nickel oxide (NiO) on the substrate resist the further oxidation. But, the development of MoO3 and Fe2O3 phases are increased the cracking as well as spallation rate which promotes severe corrosion of the substrates. The plasma arc welded substrate and base metal in MS-1 condition are giving better resistance than in MS-2 at 900 °C.
- Mathiyazhagan Sathishkumar - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Pasupathi Subramani - Jain University
- Natarajan Arivazhagan - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Kesavan GokulKumar - Vellore Inst of Technology
- CD Naiju - Vellore Inst. of Technology
- Savarimuthu Jerome - National Institute of Technology Trichy
- Manoharan Manikandan - Vellore Inst of Technology
CitationSathishkumar, M., Subramani, P., Arivazhagan, N., GokulKumar, K. et al., "Hot Corrosion Demeanour of Key-Hole Plasma Arc Welded Aerospace Grade Hastelloy X in Molten Salts Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0422, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0422.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Special Metal Corporation , Inconel Alloy HX (UNS N06002), Technical Data Sheet, 2005, http://www.specialmetals.com/assets/smc/documents/alloys/inconel/inconel-alloy-hx.pdf.
- Sathishkumar, M., and Manikandan, M. , “Preclusion of Carbide Precipitates in the Hastelloy X Weldment Using the Current Pulsing Technique,” J. Manuf. Process. 45, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2019.06.027.
- Salehi Doolabi, M., Ghasemi, B., Sadrnezhaad, S.K., Habibollahzadeh, A. et al. , “Hot Corrosion Behavior and Near-Surface Microstructure of a “Low-Temperature High-Activity Cr-Aluminide” Coating on Inconel 738LC Exposed to Na2SO4, Na2SO4 + V2O5 and Na2SO4 + V2O5 + NaCl at 900 °C,” Corros. Sci. 128:42-53, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2017.09.004.
- Karimi, A., Soltani, R., Ghambari, M., and Fallahdoost, H. , “High Temperature Oxidation Resistance of Plasma Sprayed and Surface Treated YSZ Coating on Hastelloy X,” Surf. Coatings Technol. 321:378-385, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2017.05.002.
- Sathishkumar, M., and Manikandan, M. , “Hot Corrosion Behaviour of Continuous and Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welded Hastelloy X in Different Molten Salts Environment,” Mater. Res. Express 126553, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab562a.
- Manikandan, M., Arivarasu, M., Arivazhagan, N., Puneeth, T. et al. , “High Temperature Corrosion Studies on Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welded Alloy C-276 in Molten Salt Environment,” IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng. 149, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/149/1/012020.
- Chellaganesh, D., Khan, M.A., and Jappes, J.T.W. , “Hot Corrosion Behaviour of Nickel-Iron-Based Superalloy in Gas Turbine Application,” Int. J. Ambient Energy 0750:1-5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2018.1492446.
- Sathishkumar, M., Naiju, C.D., and Manikandan, M. , “Investigation of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Hastelloy X by Key-Hole Plasma Arc Welding Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0152, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0152.
- Matsukawa, C., Hayashi, S., Yakuwa, H., Kishikawa, T. et al. , “High-Temperature Carburization Behaviour of Hastelloy X in CH4 Gas,” Corros. Sci. 53:3131-3138, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2011.05.056.
- Li, W., Liu, Y., Wang, Y., Han, C. et al. , “Hot Corrosion Behavior of Ni-16Cr-xAl Based Alloys in Mixture of Na2SO4-NaCl at 600 °C,” Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China 21:2617-2625, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/s1003-6326(11)61100-x.
- Guangyan, F., Zeyan, Q., Jingyu, C., Qun, L. et al. , “Hot Corrosion Behavior of Ni-Base Alloys Coated with Salt Film of 75%Na2SO4+25%NaCl at 900 °C,” Rare Met. Mater. Eng. 44:1112-1115, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5372(15)30077-1.
- Somasundaram, B., Kadoli, R., and Ramesh, M.R. , “Hot Corrosion Behaviour of HVOF Sprayed (Cr3C2-35% NiCr) + 5% Si Coatings in the Presence of Na2SO4-60% V2O5 at 700 °C,” Trans. Indian Inst. Met. 68:257-268, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-014-0453-0.