This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design, Analysis and Optimization of Engine Mounting Bracket for SAE Supra Car Using Finite Element Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The power train components of vehicles are firmly attached to the Engine mounting bracket. It plays very important role in performance of vehicle and its comfortable ride. As SAE India Supra car was high performance vehicle, the mounting brackets undergo high static and dynamic loading conditions due to that Huge amount of vibrations were produced. By careful designing and analysis of engine mounting bracket we can mitigate the vibration produced in the vehicle. The current paper discusses the modelling of bracket in Catia, Static and Modal Analysis of bracket was carried out in FEAST Software. Optimization of bracket is carried out in hyper mesh Software for weight reduction. A Formula Student car is required to be highly manoeuvrable and quick with high rates of acceleration and deceleration. Hence the mounting of the engine should be well constrained and the mount brackets need to be light-weight and designed to safely bear the inertial loads and maximize vibration transmission. FEA has been done to check the frequency and loading response of the brackets before finalizing the design. The design of the brackets has been experimentally validated after the actual implementation and testing of the vehicle. Finally, the comparison of results (Displacement, von-mises stresses and strain) for Mild Steel, Aluminium 6063, Carbon Fiber Composite and Glass Fiber Composite is discussed.
CitationMekalke, G., "Design, Analysis and Optimization of Engine Mounting Bracket for SAE Supra Car Using Finite Element Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0374, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Tushar, P., Kamble, and Bhalerao, R.A., “Optimization & Modal Analysis of Engine Mounting Bracket for Different Materials by Using Finite Element Analysis,” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 03:120-125.
- Walunje, P., and Kurume, V.K., “Optimization of Engine Mounting Bracket Using FEA,” PARIPEX - Indian Journal of Research 02:72-75.
- Prashanth, M.D. and Basava, T., “Vibration Analysis of Natural Hybrid Composites by Experimental Approach,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 1-12.
- Kumar, P.S.S., Karthik, K., and Raja, T., “Vibration Damping Characteristics of Hybrid Polymer Matrix Composite,” International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering IJMME-IJENS 15:42-47.
- Hammond, K.D. , “Frequency Response Analysis,” Jan. 2008.
- Rogers Corporation , “Materials Design: Understanding Load vs Frequency Curves.”
- Gokhale, N.S., Deshpande, S.S., Bedekar, S.V., and Thite, A.N., “Practical Finite Element Analysis.”
- Ghorpade, U.S., Chavan, D.S., Patil, V., and Gaikwad, M., “Finite Element Analysis and Natural Frequency Optimization of Engine Bracket,” International Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (IJMIE) 2(3), 2012, ISSN:2231-6477.
- Naghate, S., and Patil, S., “Modal Analysis of Engine Mounting Bracket Using FEA,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA) 2(4):1973-1979, July-Aug.-2012.
- Koushik, S. , “Static and Vibration Analysis of Engine Mounting Bracket of TMX-20-2 Using Opti Struct,” in Altair Technology Conference, India, 2013.
- Singh, R. , “Dynamic Design of Automotive Systems: Engine Mounts Structural Joints,” Saadhanaa 25(Part 3):319-330, June 2000.
- Callister, W.D. , Callister’s Materials Science and Engineering (Jr. Wiley India Pvt. Ltd., Reprint 2013).
- Mazumdar, S.K. , Composites Manufacturing -Materials, Product, and Process Engineering (CRC Press, 2002).