This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Cover Plate Cum Powerpack Loading Platform for Armoured Engineering Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Armoured engineering vehicles are a class of vehicles that cater to the engineering needs such as repair, recovery, technical maintenance, clearing obstacles etc. in field conditions for Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) during times of combat. In addition to the above needs, such vehicles are also supposed to carry sufficient spares including a spare powerpack that includes an engine cum transmission for MBTs as a piggyback during field replacement. Such requirements entail challenges in the design as locating such a powerpack on the vehicle impose additional structural strengthening and stability concerns during both static and dynamic conditions without obviating the need to carry vehicle spares and weight constraints.
This paper tries to address these design challenges through a case study, wherein a cover plate that is supposed to seal the powerpack compartment from dust and water ingress is converted to a cover plate cum loading platform. The complete design and iteration methodology are first explained in detail along with constraints. Subsequently, this design is verified through a finite element analysis study that includes static structural, modal, random vibration, harmonic and shock response spectrum analysis. Based on these results, the above cover plate was developed and assembled on a prototype engineering vehicle and subjected to field validation at various conditions. Finally, it is observed that by careful design and analysis a cover plate cum loading platform is designed for a combat engineering vehicle within a weight envelop of one tonne that withstood the rigors of usability and terrain, without compromising on requirements and structural integrity.
CitationRahman, H., Kumar J, R., and V, B., "Design of a Cover Plate Cum Powerpack Loading Platform for Armoured Engineering Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0356, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0356.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Hafeezur Rahman, A., Malik, S.A., Rajesh Kumar, J., Balaguru, V. et al., “Design Configuration of a Generation Next Main Battle Tank for Future Combat,” Defence Science Journal 67(4), 2017, https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.67.11426.
- Terry, T.W., Jackson, S.R., Ryley, C.E.S., Jones, B.E. et al., Fighting Vehicles (Oxford: Brassey’s Publishers Ltd., 1991).
- NATO Standardization Agency , “Protection Levels for Occupants of Armoured Vehicles,” STANAG 4569, Ed. 2, Dec. 2012.
- Bureau of Indian Standards , “Dimensions for Hot Rolled Steel Beam, Column, Channel & Angle Sections,” IS 808, Sept. 1989.
- Bureau of Indian Standards , “Hollow Steel Sections for Structural Use-Specification,” IS 4923, Sept. 1997.
- Rahman, H., Muthumanickam, M.A., Kumar, R., Balaguru, V. et al., “Design of a Ballistic Composite Cover Plate for Armoured Fighting Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0008, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0008.
- Hazell, P.J. , Ceramic Armour: Development, Design and Defeat Mechanisms (London: Argos Press, 2006).
- “AISI Type 304 L Stainless Steel,” MatWeb, Published 1999, http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=e2147b8f727343b0b0d51efe02a6127e.
- Bureau of Indian Standards , “Structural Steel - Micro alloyed Medium & High Strength Qualities - Specification,” IS 8500, Dec. 1991.
- Lee, H.-H. , Finite Element Simulations with ANSYS Workbench 16 (USA: SDC Publishers, 2015).
- Department of Defense Test Method Standard , “Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests,” MIL-STD-810G, Rev. Oct. 2008.
- Kurowski, P.M. , Finite Element Analysis for Design Engineers (Warrendale, PA: SAE International, 2004).
- Norton, R.L. , Machine Design (India: Pearson Education, 2004).