This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Flame Structure Characteristics of Methane/Air Turbulent Premixed Flame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Experiments of the methane/air turbulent premixed combustion under different turbulence intensities are conducted in a constant combustion bomb to investigate the effect of turbulence intensity on the flame structure characteristics. Fourier transform is adopted to extract detailed information of disturbance acting on the flame front of the methane/air turbulent premixed flame. The results indicate that the fluctuation radius presented an increasing trend as a whole with the development of the flame, and the flame stretch rate gradually decreases. With the increase of turbulence intensity, the disturbance of the flame front increases obviously, which makes the structure of the flame front more complex, and the correlation coefficient of the flame at the same radius decreases gradually. By analyzing the amplitude of the flame front disturbances, finding when the wave number range is 0-1, the disturbance amplitude appears the maximum value, and with the increase of turbulence intensity, the disturbance amplitude presents an increasing trend. To further explore the distribution of disturbances with wave number ranging from 5 to 280, statistical studies have been conducted of the flame front, demonstrating the distribution of the amplitude of the disturbances mainly present two peaks. With the increase of turbulence intensity, the range of the disturbances distribution gradually decreases, and as the distribution became more concentrated, the proportion of larger amplitude disturbance increases gradually.
CitationTian, L., Li, G., Liu, F., Li, H. et al., "Research on the Flame Structure Characteristics of Methane/Air Turbulent Premixed Flame," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5075, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5075.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Najibi, H. , Rezaei, R. , Javanmardi, J. et al. , “Economic Evaluation of Natural Gas Transportation from Iran’s South-Pars Gas Field to Market,” Applied Thermal Engineering 29(10):2009-2015, 2009.
- Nikolaou, Z. , Swaminathan, N. , and Chen, J. , “Evaluation of a Reduced Mechanism for Turbulent Premixed Combustion,” Combustion & Flame 161(12):3085-3099, 2014.
- Zhang, J. , Tan, Y. , Zhang, T. et al. , “Investigation of Improvement of Desorption Efficiency Using Engine Cooling Water in Natural Gas Vehicle Tank,” Applied Thermal Engineering 133:117-124, 2018.
- Qin, W. , Ren, J. , Egolfopoulos, F. et al. , “Oxygen Composition Modulation Effects on Flame Propagation and NOx, Formation in Methane/Air Premixed Flames,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28(2):1825-1831, 2000.
- Reyes, M. , Tinaut, F. , Horrillo, A. et al. , “Experimental Characterization of Burning Velocities of Premixed Methane-Air and Hydrogen-Air Mixtures in a Constant Volume Combustion Bomb at Moderate Pressure and Temperature,” Applied Thermal Engineering 130:684-697, 2018.
- Peterson, M. , Barter, G. , West, T. et al. , “A Parametric Study of Light-Duty Natural Gas Vehicle Competitiveness in the United States through 2050,” Applied Energy 125:206-217, 2014.
- Hu, E. , Huang, Z. , He, J. et al. , “Measurements of Laminar Burning Velocities and Onset of Cellular Instabilities of Methane-Hydrogen-Air Flames at Elevated Pressures and Temperatures,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34(13):5574-5584, 2009.
- Law, C.K. and Kwon, O.C. , “Effects of Hydrocarbon Substitution on Atmospheric Hydrogen-Air Flame Propagation,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 29(8):867-879, 2004.
- Law, C. , Jomaas, G. , and Bechtold, J.K. , “Cellular Instabilities of Expanding Hydrogen/Propane Spherical Flames at Elevated Pressures: Theory and Experiment,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30(1):159-167, 2005.
- Bao, X. , Liu, F. , and Sun, Z. , “Study on Instability of Outwardly Propagating Spherical Premixed Flame,” Journal of Xihua University 33(1):79-83, 2014.
- Kadowaki, S. and Kobayashi, H. , “Dynamic Behavior of Premixed Flames Propagating in Non-Uniform Velocity Fields Assessment of Intrinsic Instability in Turbulent Combustion,” Transactions of the Japan Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences 51(174):244-251, 2009.
- Aung, K.T. , Hassan, M.I. , Kwon, S. et al. , “Flame/Stretch Interactions in Laminar and Turbulent Premixed Flames,” Combustion Science and Technology 174(1):61-99, 2002.
- Karlin, V. and Sivashinsky, G. , “The Rate of Expansion of Spherical Flames,” Combustion Theory and Modelling 10(4):625-637, 2006.
- Gostintsev, Y.A. , Shatskikh, Y.V. , Shulenin, Y.V. et al. , “The Evolution of Free Turbulent Spherical Gas Flames and the Generalized Kolmogorov-Obukhov Laws,” Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2(3):437-441, 2008.
- Weiß, M. , Zarzalis, N. , and Suntz, R. , “Experimental Study of Markstein Number Effects on Laminar Flamelet Velocity in Turbulent Premixed Flames,” Combustion & Flame 154(4):671-691, 2008.
- Brequigny, P. , Endouard, C. , Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. et al. , “An Experimental Study on Turbulent Premixed Expanding Flames Using Simultaneously Schlieren and Tomography Techniques,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 95:11-17, 2017.
- Galmiche, B. , Mazellier, N. , Halter, F. et al. , “Turbulence Characterization of a High-Pressure High-Temperature Fan-Stirred Combustion Vessel Using LDV, PIV and TR-PIV Measurements,” Experiments in Fluids 55(1):1636, 2014.
- Brequigny, P. , Halter, F. , Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. et al. , “Fuel Performances in Spark-Ignition (SI) Engines: Impact of Flame Stretch,” Combustion and Flame 166:98-112, 2016.
- Ahmad, A. and Madjid, B. , “Experimental Study of Turbulent Burning Velocity of Premixed Biogas Flame,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 141(3):032202, 2019.
- Sun, Z. and Li, G. , “Propagation Speed of Wrinkled Premixed Flames within Stoichiometric Hydrogen-Air Mixtures under Standard Temperature and Pressure,” Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering 1-12, 2017.
- Brequigny, P. , Halter, F. , and Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. , “Lewis Number and Markstein Length Effects on Turbulent Expanding Flames in a Spherical Vessel,” Experimental Thermal & Fluid Science 73:33-41, 2016.
- Jiang, Y. , Li, G. , Li, H. et al. , “Experimental Study on the Turbulent Premixed Flame Structure Characteristics Based on the Wavelet Transform,” Energy & Fuels 31(12):14237-14247, 2017.
- Li, F. , Jiang, Y. , Li, G. et al. , “Study on the Effect of Flame Instability on the Flame Structure Characteristics of Hydrogen/Air Mixtures Based on the Fast Fourier Transform,” Energies 10:678-692, 2017.
- Choi, O. and Lee, M. , “Investigation into the Combustion Instability of Synthetic Natural Gases Using High Speed Flame Images and Their Proper Orthogonal Decomposition,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41(45):20731-20743, 2016.