This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Event-Triggered Robust Control of an Integrated Motor-Gearbox Powertrain System for a Connected Vehicle under CAN and DOS-Induced Delays
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper deals with an integrated motor-transmission (IMT) speed tracking control of the connected vehicle when there are controller area network (CAN)-induced delays and denial of service (DOS)-induced delays. A connected vehicle equipped with an IMT system may be attacked through the external network. Therefore, there are two delays on the CAN of the connected vehicle, which are CAN-induced and cyber-attack delays. A DOS attack generates huge delays in CAN and even makes the control system invalid. To address this problem, a robust dynamic output-feedback controller of the IMT speed tracking system considering event-triggered detectors resisting CAN-induced delays and DOS-induced delays is designed. The event-triggered detector is used to reduce the CAN-induced network congestion with appropriate event trigger conditions on the controller input and output channels. CAN-induced delays and DOS-induced delays are modeled by polytopic inclusions using the Taylor series expansion. Then, an IMT speed tracking system that considers two delays and takes into account the switching stability of the event-triggered detector, a dynamic output-feedback controller that satisfies the energy-to-peak performance is established. The dynamic controller gains are obtained by linear matrix inequality (LMI) toolbox. The controller has a good control effect on CAN-induced delay because of the integration of the event-triggered detector and polytopic inclusions delay system. Compared with an existing Proportional Integral (PI) controller, the proposed controller has a better real-time tracking effect and oscillation damping capability. The proposed controller has 31.3% smaller overshoot and 22.7% smaller settling time compared to an existing energy-to-peak controller.
CitationXiangyang, X., Xiang, L., Hui, Z., and Jing, Z., "Event-Triggered Robust Control of an Integrated Motor-Gearbox Powertrain System for a Connected Vehicle under CAN and DOS-Induced Delays," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5016, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Wu, D., Aliprantis, D.C., and Gkritza, K. , “Electric Energy and Power Consumption by Light-Duty Plug-in Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions Power System 26(2):738-746, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2052375.
- Xu, X., Liang, Y., Jordan, M., Tenberge, P., and Dong, P. , “Optimized Control of Engine Start Assisted by the Disconnect Clutch in a P2 Hybrid Automatic Transmission,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 124:313-329, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/2019-01-052.
- Dong, P., Liu, Y., Tenberge, P., and Xu, X. , “Design and Analysis of a Novel Multi-Speed Automatic Transmission with Four Degrees-of-Freedom,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 108:83-96, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/2016-10-013.
- Xi J., Xiong, G., and Zhang, Y. , “Application of Automatic Manual Transmission Technology in Pure Electric bus,” in 2008 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2008, 1-4, https://doi.org/10.1109/2008-4677583.
- Chau, K.T., Chung, S.W., and Chan, C.C. , “Neuro-Fuzzy Speed Tracking Control of Traveling-Wave Ultrasonic Motor Drives Using Direct Pulse Width Modulation,” in Conference Record of the 2002 IEEE Industry Applications Conference. 37th IAS Annual Meeting, 2002, 2043-2050, https://doi.org/10.1109/2002-1043813.
- Ke, S., and Lin, J. , “Sensorless Speed Tracking Control with Back-Stepping Design Scheme for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors,” in Proceedings of 2005 IEEE Conference on Control Applications, 2005:487-492, https://doi.org/10.1109/2005-1507173.
- Caruntu, C.F., Lazar, M., Gielen, R.H., Bosch, P.P.J. et al. , “Lyapunov Based Predictive Control of Vehicle Drivetrains over CAN,” Control Engineering Practice 21(12):1884-1898, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/2012-05-012.
- Huang, J., Shi, Y., and Wu, J. , “Transparent Virtual Coupler Design for Networked Haptic Systems with a Mixed Virtual Wall,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 17(3):480-487, 2012, https://doi.org/0.1109/tmech.2012.2188640.
- Hua, C. and Liu, X. , “A New Coordinated Slave Torque Feedback Control Algorithm for Network-Based Teleoperation Systems,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 18(2):764-774, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2012.2185506.
- Bibinagar, N. and Kim, W.J. , “Switched Ethernet-Based Real-Time Networked Control System with Multiple-Client-Server Architecture,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 18(1):104-112, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2011.2163316.
- Meng, X. and Chen, T. , “Event Detection and Control co-Design of Sampled-Data Systems,” International Journal of Control 87(4):777-786, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2013.857047.
- Ding, D., Han, Q.L., Xiang, Y., Ge, X. et al. , “A Survey on Security Control and Attack Detection for Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems,” Neurocomputing 275:1674-1683, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/2017-10-009.
- Mahmoud, M.S., Hamdan, M.M., and Baroudi, U.A. , “Modeling and Control of Cyber-Physical Systems Subject to Cyber Attacks: A Survey of Recent Advances and Challenges,” Neurocomputing 338:101-115, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/2019-01-099.
- Woo, S., Jo, H.J., and Lee, D.H. , “A Practical Wireless Attack on the Connected Vehicle and Security Protocol for in-Vehicle CAN,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16(2):993-1006, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/tits.2014.2351612.
- Zhu, X., Zhang, H., Cao, D., and Fang, Z. , “Robust Control of Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain System over Controller Area Network for Automotive Applications,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 58:15-28, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.11.011.
- Liu, Y., Zhu, X., Zhang, H., and Basin, M. , “Improved Robust Speed Tracking Controller Design for an Integrated Motor-Transmission Powertrain System over Controller Area Network,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 23(3):1404-1414, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2018.2812170.
- Shuai, Z., Zhang, H., Wang, J., Li, J. et al. , “Combined AFS and DYC Control of Four-Wheel-Independent-Drive Electric Vehicles over CAN Network with Time-Varying Delays,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 63(2):591-602, https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2013.2279843.
- Zhang, H., Shi, Y., and Wang, J. , “Observer-Based Tracking Controller Design for Networked Predictive Control Systems with Uncertain Markov Delays,” 2012 American Control Conference (ACC) 86(10):1824-1836, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2013.797107.
- Qi, Z., Shi, Q., and Zhang, H. , “Tuning of Digital PID Controllers Using Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm for a CAN-Based DC Motor Subject to Stochastic Delays,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2019.2934030.