This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Standard Process for Establishment of ECU Virtualization as Integral Part of Automotive Software Development Life-Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In recent year, Electronic Control Unit (ECU) virtualization is being promoted for development and validation of automotive software. ECU virtualization allows execution of integrated software on developer’s computer, enabling faster algorithm testing. However, the challenge remains to establish a process to be followed at organization level and its integration in the existing development process/es.
In this paper, an approach for integration of Virtual ECU (V-ECU) in Software Development Life-Cycle (SDLC) is discussed. The rationale of merging ECU virtualization in standard SDLC V-cycle supplements milestones in testing & validation. Addition of this milestone with the implementation of ECU virtualization is also presented. On the foundation of modified SDLC V-cycle, a standard process flow is created to establish ECU virtualization as integral part of software development in agile methodology.
We have implemented the discussed process with diversified tool chains on various automotive controller i.e. TCM, ECM, BMS etc. The process is accomplished, and the benefits of ECU virtualization are accumulated by algorithm development and testing team. A case study of Battery Management System (BMS) application is presented in this paper, using dSPACE tool suite. A sprint plan is also presented to highlight implementation of ECU virtualization and uses of system by various stake holders.
CitationGoyal, R., S, K., and Mistry, P., "Standard Process for Establishment of ECU Virtualization as Integral Part of Automotive Software Development Life-Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5007, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5007.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Katyal , R. and Srinath , S. Virtualization for ECU Platform Software Testing in Automotive Embedded SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1265 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1265
- Doll , G. Mar. 2002
- Pelzl , J. , Wolf , M. , and Wollinger , T. 2008
- Srinivas , N. , Panditi , N. , Schmidt , S. , and Garrelfs , R. 2014
- Coelingh , E. , Chaumette , P. , and Andersson , M. Open-Interface Definitions for Automotive Systems 1 - Application to a Brake by Wire System SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0267 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0267
- Heiser , G. 2014
- Von Wissel , D. , Jordan , Y. , Von , D. , Renault , W. et al. Full Virtualization of Renault's Engine Management Software and Application to System Development 9th European Congress on Embedded Real Time Software and Systems (ERTS 2018) Jan. 2018
- Lauff , U. , Löchner , J. , Wagner , J. , and ETAS GmbH 2018
- Dressler , J.M. A Walk through EMS 2010 Modular Software Development 4th European Congress ERTS Toulouse 2008
- Katumba , B. and Knauss , E. Agile Development in Automotive Software Development: Challenges and Opportunities International Conference on Product-Focused Software Process Improvement 2014
- Preußig , J. Agiles Projektmanagement. Scrum, User Stories, Timeboxing & Co Haufe-Lexware Freiburg 2015